• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need new Large Format customers! I heard production houses are a good gig?

depps74

Most of my customers are museums, which is great but I'm looking to diversify. Mainly looking to get more jobs running through the printer rather than the plotter. I heard production houses are a good revenue stream for large prints because they are rush jobs that tend to not be too picky. Anyone got some good ideas for a large format customer bases. I live in nyc and been hitting the pavement as part of my new years resoolution to get more customers and kick ass.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I heard production houses are a good revenue stream for large prints because they are rush jobs that tend to not be too picky.
Be prepared to answer one of their first questions of you; "What do you do in the event your printer goes down?" Be prepared to produce goods at the price they already pay (dictate).

Good luck and don't neglect your museum niche.

rjssigns

If it's the right fit it can be a good gig. Years back we did all the printing for a company that had lightning fry all their printers. They would send us files ready to print and bring us the materials. Got to do some interesting work and learned a lot about many different materials.

Reveal1

What factors make you successful in museum niche? Apparently you are good at that so seems you would want to do more of what you're good doing. Just guessing here, but museums require some level of creativity, sourcing unique products and display methods, probably at very healthy margins. Doesn't sound like 'production houses'. Best of luck to you in '20

zspace

Premium Subscriber
If you’re getting Museum work margins you will not love production houses. The margins are low and the turnaround times are short. There’s a wholesale ad running across this site for $.59/sf banners and another with $1/sf with free shipping and next day delivery.

I agree with Reveal1- evaluate the skills that make your company worthy of museum work and find more customers like that.