• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need some help locating steel sign blanks

chrisinestes

Does anybody here have a source for 0.040" to 0.063' thick steel sign blanks? I need 4-6 of them at 18" x 24".

They have to be steel, they have to be at least .040" thick, but could be up to .063" or so. Radiused corners would be great. A factory applied white finish would be helpful, but I could deal with a smooth mill finish if I had to.

I can find 24 Ga. blanks easily enough, but they're not thick enough for this particular job. They have to be steel because "On Duty" & "Off Duty" magnetic signs need to stick to them.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks!
Chris

Pat Whatley

Any ideas for me?

Yes....forget about the steel. Use 18x24 .080 aluminum and cover it with self-adhesive Magnum Magnetic. Mount your prints or whatever on top of that. We do a lot of 4' x 8' signs for a local company that way and they hold up great.

Brink

18 Ga. is .048 It would seem like any steel supplier would have milled sheets. (We have bell steel near us but you may have some other supplier) Then a competent welding shop can cut it and radius the corners for you.

Or https://www.metalsdepot.com/

thewvsignguy

Simon Arthur

430 stainless steel is magnetic and is more corrosion resistant than plain steel. McMaster Carr sells 12x24 and 24x24 pieces. It is also available from metal suppliers. If you need a different size/shape have it shear cut by the metal supplier or have it waterjet cut or laser cut.

chrisinestes

I ended up getting pre-made 24 gauge blanks and laminated 2 together with VHB double sided tape. They're plenty rigid, customer approved, and within budget. I'm 99% sure they'll hold up... Time will tell...

Chris

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I ended up getting pre-made 24 gauge blanks and laminated 2 together with VHB double sided tape. They're plenty rigid, customer approved, and within budget. I'm 99% sure they'll hold up... Time will tell...

Chris

Do you get rain, snow or cold weather in your location ?? Cause if you do, water is gonna get between them, freeze and force them apart over time. However, if you had welded them, you'd be Okay.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Does anybody here have a source for 0.040" to 0.063' thick steel sign blanks? I need 4-6 of them at 18" x 24".

They have to be steel, they have to be at least .040" thick, but could be up to .063" or so. Radiused corners would be great. A factory applied white finish would be helpful, but I could deal with a smooth mill finish if I had to.

I can find 24 Ga. blanks easily enough, but they're not thick enough for this particular job. They have to be steel because "On Duty" & "Off Duty" magnetic signs need to stick to them.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks!
Chris

I've seen these at Lowe's even.

ams

Don't use steel. They rust, are heavy and junk. Change the customers mind and use letter tracks to slide in and slide out the sign.
By the way 0.40 and 0.63 is for aluminum, steel goes by gauges.

bjt140

If you ever run into this again we (Glassmith2) are in Boulder and have a laser that can cut these for you. Feel free to reach out anytime if needed.