• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need to install these 3-color decals today. Quick question on 'where' to layer.

skittles

Hi guys!

Total newbie question. (I couldn't find this issue in particular in the search - probably because everyone knows it except me. LOL)

I have a couple of layered 3-color circular logos that are about 20" in circumference. I cut the layers with reg marks at the top. They are going on the doors of a friend's karate dojo. For this size decal, would you do the layers in house and then install it in one shot? Or would you layer them on the actual doors?

I found videos on Youtube for easy layering, but they were all smaller logos.

Thank you! :thankyou:

skittles

Thank you!

Would you do them wet or dry? Dry is better adhesion-wise, right? But wet is more forgiving? I have some stuff called "Window Juice" but after testing it on my glass table, it seems like it really weakens the adhesive - even after letting it dry for a day.

skittles

Sorry to be such a noob. I am a graphic designer, but worked in a sign shop eons ago. I never did installs - just applied to coroplast, foam core, etc. I mainly do single color wall decals, so this is new to me. :)

Ken

I would do this on site. Ensure your transfer tape does not have wrinkles or bubbles.
I use rapid tac for wet applications . Just be patient and careful when lifting the transfer tape.
Cheers !
Ken

skittles

Thank you!! Does the adhesive eventually get stronger once the liquid wears off? I just noticed a huge difference in the adhesion of the wet vs. dry. I want to make sure my friend's decals will stay on. :)

Thanks again! I appreciate you both answering me so quickly!

Ken

Rapid Tac says their formula actually helps "activate" the adhesive. I tend to use a felt covered squeegee (and finger pressure) after all is applied to prevent scratching the vinyl. I havent had any failures with this method.
Ken

qmr55

If you're having trouble with the vinyl "lifting" with the transfer tape because of the wet application try these few things to help.

• Use less liquid
• Make sure to squeegee all the liquid out from under the vinyl
• Let sit for short period of time before pulling transfer tape
• After you squeegee it with the transfer tape, spray the OUTSIDE of the transfer tape and squeegee it again, this helps the adhesive from the tape give more and life off the vinyl

See if any of those will help!

AUTO-FX

Are these going on glass? Are you going to use clear transfer tape or paper?
If on glass, and youre going to use wet method, i would like to use paper.
If I was going to use clear, I might go dry.

Circleville Signs

I think she meant "diameter". lol. Either way, dry, on site, and with that small of a decal I probably wouldn't even mess with reg marks....

skittles

LOL! Yes - I meant diameter. Sorry! :Oops:

I installed the logos, but I did get bubbles. I got most of them out, thankfully - but I definitely need a better method/application fluid.

skittles

Print it and Stick it and be done with it. Who layers anymore anyway's, well I guess there are a few that still do it.

Yeah... I don't have that kind of money for a big printer. I have a 48" cheapo vinyl cutter - as I'm just dabbling in this for now. I'd love to move up to a real cutter, printer, etc. but this is what's within my means.

Flame

Print it and Stick it and be done with it. Who layers anymore anyway's, well I guess there are a few that still do it.

hahaha. Like 75% of the sign trade! Majority of sign shops I've seen still don't have a printer. You're out of the loop buddy. :corndog:

To Skittles, how are you applying? Squeegee method? Did you just flop and squeegee or did you center hinge? With a center hinge, you should've had minimal bubbles. I ALWAYS try to do dry and wet is absolute worst case scenario...