• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need to install these 3-color decals today. Quick question on 'where' to layer.

skittles

Thanks!

I flopped it. It was round, so I wasn't sure if a center hinge would work. Yes - regular plastic squeegee, I'm afraid. (I'm so glad this is for a friend!)

Tony McD

also make sure your squeegee has a smooth edge and doesn't have a bunch of nicks...those nicks are bubbles about to happen.

Vinyl sticks to vinyl quicker than vinyl to glass with the wet method.
I like to put the layer on the glass dry, and sometimes use wet on the other layers.
Gives you a little freedom to slide it around if needed.

Circleville Signs

Couple of things...

Squeegee-wise: Get a Geek Wraps squeegee. Expensive, but hands down the best squeegee's I've ever used.

Bubbles/installation: PRACTICE!!!!! If you just cut and tape some random large shapes and practice with them on a smooth substrate, you should be able, within a couple of hours, to lay down 24"x48" stuff dry, with zero bubbles.

skittles

Thank, guys! I finished installing this morning, but I got bubbles and wrinkles like crazy. I think it's partly my app tape. It's not sticky enough and I think the vinyl is moving while I squeegee. I'm going to redo the whole thing. Like I said - I am so glad this is a friend and not a *real* account. This is great practice for me. I'm going to practice on my glass table here in 'workshop' and see if I can get some better results. I've always done decals with less solid area, so this giant circle is a challenge for me.

Thanks again for being so understanding and helpful. :)

Circleville Signs

Thank, guys! I finished installing this morning, but I got bubbles and wrinkles like crazy. I think it's partly my app tape. It's not sticky enough and I think the vinyl is moving while I squeegee. I'm going to redo the whole thing. Like I said - I am so glad this is a friend and not a *real* account. This is great practice for me. I'm going to practice on my glass table here in 'workshop' and see if I can get some better results. I've always done decals with less solid area, so this giant circle is a challenge for me.

Thanks again for being so understanding and helpful. :)

Practice DRY!!!!!!!!!! Hing on anything longer than one outstretched arm. If it's a flat surface, a vertical hinge, and if it is a curved surface (convex, like a car door), horizontal hinge.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I always install on glass dry. now there are some exceptions to that ... if i'm actually overlaying one color on top of another sometimes i will install the first color dry, then wet apply the second ... it will still take longer (glass and all) ... but it will adhere to itself rather quickly. I will only pre-layer if it is going with the customer for a self install ... otherwise on site.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I always install on glass dry. now there are some exceptions to that ... if i'm actually overlaying one color on top of another sometimes i will install the first color dry, then wet apply the second ... it will still take longer (glass and all) ... but it will adhere to itself rather quickly. I will only pre-layer if it is going with the customer for a self install ... otherwise on site.

+1
Base dry - float the top layers in if you think you are going to crash and burn the alignment dry.

wayne k
guam usa

humpsigns

What you could of done was just layered it right in shop leave first layer on backer, juice up first and second layer sides real good I use water-cheap- maybe one drop of dawn dish wash and slide your decal right in position. Go head and take transfer off,vinyl sticks real good vinyl to vinyl and let dry about 5 min,. don't want the backer to the get to soaked.Just repeat on last layer.If any bubbles, you can get rid of them as you do each layer.If you don't have any good squeegees make sure they are straight and wrap a paper towel around it and keep your vinyl wet you will have less scratches. You can go to Hardware, Dollar store and get velcro smooth piece and stick on them on, just cut to size. Works better than the ones you buy That what I do to all my small decals.Get to glass the decal is so thick you can put on dry or just very little water. Some like to do it on location, I hate all that sliding on glass.Seems like the water doesn't like to dry behind the vinyl on glass.

slipperyfrog

What you could of done was just layered it right in shop leave first layer on backer

I would never do this unless the cut vinyl is cash & carry out the door by the customer. You will end up with vinyl pullback and wrinkling on the edges of each layer.

Just my 2c.

humpsigns

never.. just let the backer dry it will lay down and no prob with pullback if you didn't cut vinyl to deep. Let the backer dry each time.

skittles

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the input sooo much!

I installs some other graphics, which were eight 6" x 46" red stripes along the edges of the glass. I made a felt squeegee and they came out prefect!

Now I'm going to tackle the logo again, this time with my felt squeegee. The only thing is, I want to use my clear app tape and it's not big enough. I posted elsewhere a minute ago, but I need to know if I can tile app tape at all. I'd rather use the clear if I can, but it's about 5" too short.

Thanks again!!!

Replicator

Get yourself a Speedball rubber roller for installs it will work so much better than a squeegee . . .
Always install dry and always hinge !!!!!

truckgraphics

I am just going to confuse the issue...but if it were me...
I would use air release vinyl (apply dry !) for the bottom layer and apply the top layer(s) in the shop, because you have time to fix things before going on site.

Apply the top layers in the shop, hinging (vertical, horizontal, whichever you like) the top layer(s) and squeegeeing (is that a word?) those layers down dry. I can't tell you how many layers I have messed up because I tried to use my "perfect" eye to line things up. (After 8 years, I have finally come to the conclusion that hinges are best. Or maybe my eyesight is going !)

Get a bubble in the shop? Pin it or wait for it to find its way out. Or try again if you are a perfectionist. Easier to fix problems in the shop than on site.

J

john1

I'm still sticking with rapid tac 2 on glass for easier installs if you can't do it dry. Been using it for over half a decade no problem.

skittles

Here it is! My first big window job! I did the red stripes, white lettering, door logo and additional white text on the door.
I learned a TON.
Thank you all for your help! I really mean that! :loveya:

Attachments

• P1010525.jpg
    P1010525.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited by a moderator: