• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need to rant!

TheSnowman

Ok, I'm the only one here, and I need to share the story of what just happened because I wanted to punch the guy.

I just had a guy come in basically laying into me telling me that my phone didn't work. I told him that it indeed did, and he picks up a card, and attempts to dial my phone number while shaking the entire time. After waiting a minute or so for this guy to dial I said "you know what...you are right here, let's not worry about that, what can I do for you?"

The conversation continues with him asking how big of magnet I could make. I told him I could do 24" X whatever length he needed. He told me he wanted it for his van. I'm thinking, ok, down the sides, that could possibly work. The guy tells me it's for on the hood of his van, and he wants to sell advertising. I said, "Ok, well, how big of one do you need so I can quote it?". He tells me that he just woke up (10:30AM) and that he didn't have a clue and holds his hands up telling me to guess how big it is across them. Then he goes into this story like I'm asking him too many questions, and he tells me he doesn't even think that this is a real shop and that no one is ever here, which someone is ALWAYS here minimum 9:00 - 4:00.

To continue on, I tell him that I'll go get my tape measure and we'll go measure it. We get outside, and this thing is a Montana Mini-Van. He wants a magnet to go across the hood and over the bevels in the hood. I told him that would instantly fly off on the highway because it's not a flat surface, and it would be catching so much wind. He says "They do it in nascar all the time!" I said, yes, that's a wrap. He wants to know why we can't just do that. I inform him that we can, but what he's asking for is something that will last 4 years on a $50 budget (which my magnet was going to be at least $200 I figured) and what nascar has is $1,000's of dollars budgeted, and they last a week.

So anyway, this guy keeps talking, and come to find out what he's wanting to do is just slap bumper stickers and magnets all over his selling advertising for all the local bars on his van. Then he tells me..."my phone is just full of crazy drunks and I take them to the bar, then go pick them up when they are done". So, apparently, that summed up the problem to me as to why he couldn't properly dial a phone, and as to why he was so scatterbrained the entire time...sealed the deal that he was still a bit hung over too.

Anyway, I'm hoping that he never comes back, because he basically insulted me twice, by saying that I wasn't a real company, and laying into me that my phone didn't work. I should have just sent him up to the lowballer up the street, I'm sure he loves working with drunk people.

WildWestDesigns

I never understand the desire to get one self drunk to the point to where they can't dial a phone and are scatter brained beyond the usual. I have to be careful with the scatter brain bit as I'm a little bit that way naturally about some things.

TheSnowman

I'm with ya...the fact that this guy appeared to have a hang over doesn't seem to make the fact that he's the one driving people home, any better.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
You allowed him to waste too much of your time. Don't let him come back.

He might have a good business model though.

JB

TheSnowman

Well, I think out of awkwardness of him being a complete fool, I ended the conversation by saying "Let me know if we can do anything for you"....that was a horrible reflex/mistake to end the conversation...but I just always say it. He will shop around I'm sure...he's gotta save his beer money. Every number I threw out ended with "Ugh, your killing me!".

WrapperX

Some people - they want Champagne when they can barely afford their Beer...

My guess is your prices were too high for his "budget" hence the "you're killing me" response. I would doubt that you will see the guy again and tomorrow you'll look back on this morning and just shake your head in disbelief.

threeputt

Seems to me you may have been overly polite to this guy.

Walk him to the door with, "I don't think I can help you", try ABC signs down the street.

Mikeifg

I would have kicked him out at the first mention of the word Nascar. I always get hillbilly's wanting something like they saw on Nascar. OK I sent him to ya....... HA HA

petesign

I'd show him what a wrap is by printing a sample.

Wait till he is going out to do his thing, follow him there and put your sample that reads:

Attention Police, I am a drunk driver!

on his hood...

You might even show him something nice, like reflective vinyl.

Farmboy

Agreed on you being too tolerant. Customer or not, there's no place in my life for folks like this.

J

john1

first insult would have ended the convo for me.

I had a guy tell me i wasn't legit and all this. I told him you know i'm not interested in doing business with you thanks for your time. The guy did home theater installs and was like "I work with big companies like Sony and Samsung". Wow, i forgot Mr Big shot is in the house. I work with Best Buy where i bought my Sony, Now what?!

Now the sucker still calls and emails me wanting to do business with me and i just ignore them. Business may be bad but i will not fall into being as desperate to work with this guy.

Craig Sjoquist

Well thanks for the story . Glad you treated him with respect as much as ya did, which really is the best way, ya just never know what bridges you cross, you showed me that people are still good and with good intentions.

I understand that it is easier just to shove him out the door and being to busy to treat people as equals, but it sets a poor prescription and only starts adding up till it boils
over.

Was taught always treat people as equals and with the same respect till you know otherwise, results have been awesome and have kept me alive and well.
Thank you again for this reminder.