• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I smell a Scam, but no one believes me.

DrSteveBrule

So the Boss's Daughter gets this email:

On Jan 4, 2011, at 6:39 AM, "Marc Johnson" <marcjohnson361@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
> Good day..
> My name is Marc Johnson with the Marc Johnson Co Inc and i am sending this email to your business in regards to the order for some Billboards and the Sizes that i am looking for are :
>
> 1. Measures 30 feet high and 80 feet long
> 2. Two sided on Vinyl
> 3. Full copies Blank Ink on White vinyl
> 4. l want you to write on the BillBoards ( EDUCATION IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS IN LIFE ) For the Artwork.
> 5. Hammed With 4 grommet
>
> Please provide a quote on 100 copies. I would like to know the Estimated quote without shipping . Advise me the method of payment you accept so that we can proceed with this order. I will be Looking forward to hear back from you so that we can proceed with the Order .
> --
> Urgently waiting to hear from you soon.
> Thank you.
> Best Regards
> Marc Johnson
We are a small print shop dealing mainly in transit, and frankly his order doesn't make much sense. I smell a scam. I tell her to ask a TON of questions (after googling his "Company" with no success) and have him call her.

Well i guess he actually did, and his order changed drastically. I think this was after he found out what we normally do. Then she sent me this to quote:

Good day..
My name is Marc Johnson with the Marc Johnson Co Inc and i am sending this email to your business in regards to the order for some Banners and the Sizes that i am looking for are :

1. measures 30 x 60 inches
2. One sided on Vinyl
3. Full copies Blank Ink on White vinyl
4. l want you to write of the Banners
( STOP AIDS LOVE LIFE ) For the Artwork.
5. Hammed With 4 grommet

Please provide a quote on 100 quantities . I would like to know the Estimated quote without shipping . Advise me the method of payment you accept so that we can proceed with this order. I will be Looking forward to hear back from you so that we can proceed with the Order .
--
Urgently waiting to hear from you soon.
Thank you.
Best Regards
Marc Johnson
So immediately I start telling her its a scam and that we should just ignore him before we give him too much to work with. Of course she doesn't believe me and of course the Scammer is relentless. I just feel we are going to get taken advantage of and no one is going to believe me. Any suggestions/websites/stories you guys have that i can back my point up is appreciated. Ive already printed out a few threads! Thanks guys!

The "DUH" moment for her should have been when I asked her: "Where is his company from? Did he sound foreign?" and her response was "He's from Missouri and yes he sounded very foreign, why?":doh:

Locals Find!

Tell him you only accept cash payments. If he wants them he can come give you a cash deposit up front.

If he shows he is legit. If he doesn't well then he isn't. These scams only work when its a check, money order or credit card. Have never heard of anyone getting scammed by a cash customer.

DrSteveBrule

Tell him you only accept cash payments. If he wants them he can come give you a cash deposit up front.

If he shows he is legit. If he doesn't well then he isn't. These scams only work when its a check, money order or credit card. Have never heard of anyone getting scammed by a cash customer.

Thats what I basically just responded with. Cash up front before production.

SignManiac

You're too late. I already got his order! I just have to figure out the best means to ship a 30' x 80' billboard. I'm talking to the utility company right now about moving all of the power lines. They quoted me $1.3 million to take them down while the moving company hauls the billboard. These billboard jobs are a pain in the a$$

vinylbarry

It is a scam you can tell very easy but we have seen these alot before.

I bet we get 1 or 2 a week just like it.

Letterbox Mike

I seriously can't believe people still fall for this. Yes, it's a scam. Try to sell the guy a used washing machine, see if he bites.

DrSteveBrule

You're too late. I already got his order! I just have to figure out the best means to ship a 30' x 80' billboard. I'm talking to the utility company right now about moving all of the power lines. They quoted me $1.3 million to take them down while the moving company hauls the billboard. These billboard jobs are a pain in the a$$

HAHA! I have a fleet of Magic Helicopters you can use...

Si Allen

Hahahahahahahahahaaaaaa 30 X 80 feet = 2400 sq ft. 4 grommets? Hammed ?

Slap that dummy alongside the head and say "Get a clue you idiot!"

weaselboogie

So the Boss's Daughter gets this email:

We are a small print shop dealing mainly in transit, and frankly his order doesn't make much sense. I smell a scam. I tell her to ask a TON of questions (after googling his "Company" with no success) and have him call her.

Well i guess he actually did, and his order changed drastically. I think this was after he found out what we normally do. Then she sent me this to quote:

So immediately I start telling her its a scam and that we should just ignore him before we give him too much to work with. Of course she doesn't believe me and of course the Scammer is relentless. I just feel we are going to get taken advantage of and no one is going to believe me. Any suggestions/websites/stories you guys have that i can back my point up is appreciated. Ive already printed out a few threads! Thanks guys!

The "DUH" moment for her should have been when I asked her: "Where is his company from? Did he sound foreign?" and her response was "He's from Missouri and yes he sounded very foreign, why?":doh:

Have her put her money where her mouth is. Tell her, that if she's right, she and everyone else that disagrees with you will get to split the profits, but if she's wrong, they must pay for the entire cost of the job.

surf city

Come on Bob, I bet if we get out own bucket truck we can move the power lines ourself and save at least half of that 1.3 million and use it to buy some beer.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
She should be fired! Boss's daughter huh, have her take the job then. Did you tell her boss yet, what does he say?

SignBurst PCs

Just so you all don't feel picked on, I get these almost daily.

The difference is that they request quotes for hundreds of HP printer toner cartridges.

Pat Whatley

I'd love to know the statistics on how many times these scams have worked over the years. We all laugh about it and can't believe anyone would fall for it but with the thousands of shops that open and close every year you know they occasionally catch a sucker thinking he just stumbled into his best order ever.