Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think Flexi is mad at me

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by jayhawksigns, Nov 1, 2005.

1. jayhawksigns

jayhawksigns Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Just tried to import a file into an open window and a pop up window said

Never
    [OK]

Then the program closed out.

Anyone else have weird problems with Flexi???

Tags:
  2. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    I generally reset Flexi w/ Clear Preferences command. That fixes the issues before they come up. When they do come up its always at the wrong times.

3. gtjet

gtjet Active Member

Jun 3, 2005
    We have used Flexi for 3 years now and never had a never on import? Curious to see what happened here.

4. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    had a few problems with flexi on my mac and had to re-install a few times....pi$$e$ me off when I work on something and the window pops up and says "operation aborted" and closes everything down, then have to restart everything again

5. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    This is why you have to clear preferences. It keeps it from doing just this. I do this at least once a month.

6. Signworks of Algoma

Signworks of Algoma Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Algoma, WI
    I've had it come up with some bogus popup windows like that, too. Lost all my work on a couple of jobs. Major problem! All I can recommend is to save your work often, just in case! I have auto save enabled, but it doesn't seem to function:help: .

7. nxtremesign

nxtremesign Member

Aug 4, 2005
    I hate to say Never, cause when you say that, you know what happens.
    I never had flexi to pop up a window and say never, it just don't import some files sometime.
    to slapakiss quote above: I usally have that happen when I have more than 8 windows or files open at once.

8. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    i'll just have flexi running and if i'm working on something complex with alot of paths and points...it seems to go good for a while and then it's like i clicked to many times or moved something too much and there it is... the pop up window..."operation aborted" or "not even memory in flexi"....

9. iSign

iSign Verboten

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    save more often when you are working in complex files, or even reduce the number of undos (I don't know flexi enough to know if you can, but in some programs you can do that)

once you save it frees up a lot of memory spent on remembering how to undo the last bunch of things you did. On huge files, thats a huge amount of memory being taxed

10. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

I sometimes cant import large (over 500 mb) pictures. Sometimes get problems importing .eps files (no problem with .ai). I rarely get crashes and the odd time i get fortunate and have the option to save my work before the crashing starts.

Its exceptionally sensitive when point editing complex shapes. Save-save-save when your cleaning up points!!!

11. nxtremesign

nxtremesign Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Doug had a point about undo's, it dose take up the RAM,or increse the amount of RAM.
    Now I have a gig of RAM don't have that problem much any more.
    And to change the undo's go to
    Edit; Preferences; General; set the number of Undo's
    I keep mind around 100 but rarely use that much.

12. gcljlamb

gcljlamb Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I keep my undo's at 50 (default). I also downloaded a free "ram watcher" program. It helps but doesn't always catch when the program's about to say, "Don't do one more thing, or I'm gonna shut down." I too, have a gig of Ram and as long as I'm careful and saving pretty often (every 3-5 minutes with a large open file, I don't have any problems. The other thing you can do if you notice Flexi starting to behave erratically is save and then shut the program down and restart the program (not the computer; not necessary). This takes all of what? 10 seconds? and it resets your ram.

For nxtreme, so many windows = ram being used. Prioritize what you have open and close what you don't NEED. With the gig of memory I have, I keep less than 5 or 6 open maximum at once.

Slapakiss, you're just running out of ram as well. Save often and restart the program from time to time.

It never fails, you're working on a sweet looking piece of art, you know? You're in that creative vein and the ideas are flowing, and then BOOM, the program says "Sorry, unrecoverable system error." And then you start kicking yourself for not saving. Having that happen a few times during your day can make you feel like you had a lowsy day.

Every now and then, it's going to happen; technology is not flawless, it's man-made. For a long time, I had a sticky note on my screen that said SAVE!!!. It's worked for me. Ctrl "S" has become as automatic as tying a shoe.

Good luck,

George

13. nxtremesign

nxtremesign Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Thanx George,
    You can also set the save. To save every 5- 8 min.
    but that can be a pain too, it make Flexi seen to "Freeze" while it saves,but can be less irritating thatn losing all that time!
    Steve

14. gcljlamb

gcljlamb Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Aye, there's the rub!!:thumb:

15. jayhawksigns

jayhawksigns Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Steve -

When it does the automatic save for you, does it overwrite your original file??

It would be nice if it made an alternate file that it saved it to, that way if you changed something, Flexi saved it, program crashed, then your originial file would still be there without the change you didn't end up wanting.

16. nxtremesign

nxtremesign Member

Aug 4, 2005
    The short anwser is YES it's wrights over the old file
    I found that as long as I haven't closed the file. I copy last, undo back to one I want I want to keep and then paste new one. ( I work off page so to speak, I make the file the size of the sign, Keep old lay outs, notes, lay out for cuts, for that sign flie:in a customer folder) or when you start to do changes open the Flile, do a "save as" #2 that way you have the old file to begin with.

I know you can keep all that in "Job Info" but my guys don't ever think to look there they just ask "anybody know what color this needs to be done in" and it's easier to
    have all info right there, hey if anybody does it different that's works better, I'm here to learn!! always

17. EndlessOptions

EndlessOptions Member

Mar 5, 2005
    I save often but if I am working with a file that I want the original just incase, then I import the file instead of opening it and save it with the same name only with a number at the end of it.