• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I think I just screwed the pooch. What would you do?

dwt

What SIZE and QUANTITY and COST did he sign off on?
Thats what you need to deliver. Don't tell him you screwed up
or he might believe you're under-qualified even if it was a simple mistake.
Hey Jill, pass the Mrs. Dash. *crunch,crunch,this sux,crunch,crunch*

Marlene

I did quote him 2' X 10' materials, NOT 4' X 10'.

if you clearly stated the size on the quote, that is what you priced and not the 4' high. explain that to him and no, don't eat it. if you didn't clearly state the size, then enjoy lunch and eat away!

SameDay Signs

Your going to have to eat the cost but then again you should hopefully have priced it well enough you shouldn't lose any money and if so it's minimal. Sometimes screw ups mean working for free but it happens so stick with it and make sure you give quote only good for 30 days or so.

TheSnowman

Ok, I just talked to my supplier. I am just going to use .040 aluminum since it is what this sign is currently made from, instead of the AluPanel that I had planned on. They worked on the price with me, and I am making him a 6 year sign, instead of a 7 year sign, and I can still make a little money. Not enough to cover my time by any means, but I've learned something, and at least I'm not going into the red on materials. Glad to have this one behind me. Shouldn't be hard now, other than figuring out a space to lay out a 4' X 20' sign and put it together. Gonna have to fire up the head out in the shop.

Pat Whatley

I think I just screwed the pooch. What would you do?

This post was open on the computer by the register and a customer read the title. His suggestion was that next time you screw the pooch you sneak out before she wakes up the next morning.

TheSnowman

First off Pat, that is hilarious and wrong all at the same time. Second, I meant to put HEAT not head. I think I was excited to not lose my butt on the job and got typing too fast. Thanks for all the advice. I love having people around that have "been there done that" and seeing how people have delt with it.

bjones

What's the chance the artwork doesn't touch the middle of the 4x10 sheet and you could just install it in 4 pieces with a 3/4 aluminum channel painted to match the base color? Would be pretty much invisible and you could call it 'easy to install or change part of the sign' and maybe turn an error into a feature... Lemons to lemonade.

TheSnowman

What's the chance the artwork doesn't touch the middle of the 4x10 sheet and you could just install it in 4 pieces with a 3/4 aluminum channel painted to match the base color? Would be pretty much invisible and you could call it 'easy to install or change part of the sign' and maybe turn an error into a feature... Lemons to lemonade.

Slim to none, but mainly none.

TheSnowman

Normally I would, but man, I just haven't been able to read this guy yet. I think he's just so busy that he doesn't have a lot of time to hang around and chat like most of my customers always want to do, which is fine, but that also hasn't given me time to see how "personal" he is with working with others. He owns about 4 different businesses, and is pretty involved in most of them.

invizzible

Never assume. If it's a job your NOT gonna make money on, why do it. If he is a long time customer of yours, he should be understanding. I'd call him up asap & let him know.

It's true, if you're not going to make money on it, don't take the job. You can go broke fishing. BUT, if the reason you're not going to make money on the job is because you made a mistake with the materials, you have to eat it.

If my cabinet maker called me to tell me he cut the 4 x 8 plywood for my cabinets wrong and since he just blew his profit he's not going to do the job anymore, I would have a serious problem with that. Or if my oil change guy charged me extra because he forgot to screw the plug back in and he dumped four quarts on the ground before he noticed...you get the idea.

If you blow the profit on your own mistake it shouldn't affect the customer getting what he expects.

Rooster

Consider it an investment in substrate you can use on other jobs and do this guy's job right. If you're so tight on margin that you're losing all your profit on 2 - 4 x 10 sheets you have more important problems to address. Like finding some customers that will make you some money. You're not going to with this guy.

ProWraps

your in a tough spot. we and many others on here call it an "education". you wont do that again.

my "education" has probably cost me upwards of 100k. and it still costs me. almost every day.

eat it. do the job right, and be a hero. when your client learns of your trials and tribulations and see you did the job right, he WILL be your best salesman. and a cheap one at that.

sorry brother. it sucks. trust me i know.