• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I think I may have downloaded some form of malware...what to do

player

Thanks for all the suggestions...it's Monday morning...everything seems to be fine, but who knows....Don't think I will be going near my banking or any purchasing on this computer for a while.
Is it hooked up to any other computers? Randsomware is a b!tch.

WildWestDesigns

Is it hooked up to any other computers? Randsomware is a b!tch.

If this is connected to a LAN, then any and all computers that are also connected could very well be infected and have an equal risk of account compromises if used for internet access. Could also be issues with production machines that may not have WAN access, but still have shared files/folders across the network.

I don't know what the OP's setup is like, this may or may not be an issue, but certainly something to keep in mind.

gabagoo

I have run malwarebytes / spybot / ccleaner and super antispyware as well as Microsfot security essentials...Nothing frightening was found...Maybe it wasn't malicious.

WildWestDesigns

Did you confirm from your client that they had indeed sent something to you embedded in the body of the email? If it was something that they hadn't voluntarily sent, then for me personally, I would be more aggressive and put my mind at ease.

netsol

I have run malwarebytes / spybot / ccleaner and super antispyware as well as Microsfot security essentials...Nothing frightening was found...Maybe it wasn't malicious.

if you found nothing new, after all those scans, go back to my previous post and clear your temp locations, then pat yourself on the back for a job well done .if you had anything serious you would probably know by now. password change is also a really good idea. there is no need to run every flavor of antispyware

you did fine, (although the time you spend with microsoft ecurity essentials is nothing more than microsoft license enforcement pretending to be much more

although they annoy the hell out of me, you should probably be running trend micro or bitdefender if ransomware is your concern