• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I told my therapist about you!

Plum House

Haha, got your attention, didn't I? :ROFLMAO:

Hello Everyone,

I am a self-taught artist wanting to learn how to properly design and paint signs. My interest presently with signs is handmade with hand lettering and some embellishments at times to add dimension.

A few years ago (almost 4 now!), I made a rash of signs to cover the side of my shed. Towards the end of that period, I found Signs101 and tried to implement some of things I read here. I bought Mike Stevens "Mastering Layout", "The colorization of the Atkinson Plates" (oooh, la la, just pure eye candy!) and somewhere along the way picked up "Lettering Design" by Michael Harvey.

I loved making those signs but I found myself very frustrated with my lack of knowledge, the limitations of the software I had at the time and was too afraid to post and ask for help. I looked into expensive vinyl cutters but luckily realized that wasn't going to make my signs awesome. Other than very simple centering of words on a board, I stopped trying, basically giving up. Some of you will be happy to hear, I have never sold a sign. I do give them away as gifts sometimes.

This past spring, I volunteered to create a display of Linoleum pieces from the renovated farm house at our local Nature Center. The design they chose, somewhat resembles an old poster and I also thought it looked like a sign too because it has the word linoleum on it. I had wanted to add a paragraph to it, but I knew I could not do that much lettering on it and be happy with it. (Yeah, hindsight, I should have had someone do vinyl letters, but I really wanted them painted.) My lettering isn't perfect and it has a "too much space" issue. After I realized the space problem, I was terrible unhappy and we ended up also donating the cost of materials. (I say we, because my husband did all the metal work for me.)

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. I made a simple sign for my MIL to hang in the house and started rolling around ideas for someone else for a Christmas gift. Then last week, without any prompting, three different people asked me about making a sign, all in the same day. I was floored and somewhat saddened when that last person mentioned it. (It's a business sign.) It was like someone hitting me over the head, saying "here's your sign", get busy and start learning how to do it, you know you want to.

So here I am, ready to learn and not scared to post anymore. :>)

Suzie

PS Plum House - I have a purple outhouse, lol, yes, I really do!

SignManiac

Welcome aboard! All the information you need is here on this board. Best advice I can offer is to ask if you don't know or can't find it here.

Most of your questions can be answered quite easily. Once you understand the basics, it becomes pretty easy.!

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding Signs 101 and people.

Still enjoy hand lettering after 36 years.

The Mike Stevens book is awesome, best way to understand and deal with layouts indeed. Another is Dan Antonelli 2 books he put out.

Hand lettering understanding questions ?? Speedball book still the best.
Of course any other book helps also.

Any question be sure to ask alot of seasoned hand lettering people here.

Suz

Welcome Suzie! Sounds like an adventure to me, a very long one! But you started it already, so keep going! Good for you for following your dreams.

GypsyGraphics

Suzie, i forgot to mention... when you tell your therapist about us... if he calls us "your imaginary friends" don't beleive him... we're real. :Big Laugh

Plum House

Thanks for the welcomes!

Suzie, i forgot to mention... when you tell your therapist about us... if he calls us "your imaginary friends" don't beleive him... we're real.

Glad you guys didn't get upset over that, my Mom was pretty ticked when I told her that! lol