Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wanna try some solar LED lighting, anyone do this before?

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by visual800, Feb 26, 2014.

1. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I have a triangular sign, 4x4x4x6' tall that a dr office is moving into. this sign already had the .125 aluminum panles with routed letters and plexi behind it, so we made the new doc the same panels. went to install yesterday and remove old stuff and damn thing has no lights in it and no woring! Obvisoulsy this sign was moved from another location OR the previsou doc just never bothered.

The new doc mentioned some solar powered LED and I said Id check into it. the area on the panels to light up or only 2' x 3' on 2 panles so not alot of realetstae to light up

has anyone here done solor lighting? Igot on web and its out there but i want actual people not specs

Tags:
  2. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    We've done 8 50watt Solar LED lamps for some trailers we did, They were bright as heck. Shortly over time the Solar panels didn't produce enough to maintain the brightness so we had to direct wire them.

These units were $550/ea and came from Sylvania.

3. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Bruce by the time you figure out the cost of adequate solar pannels batteries etc. It is a lot cheaper to just run electric to the sign! Adequate solar pannels will run you a couple thousand dollars plus the rest of equipment.

4. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I would have thought LED's would make this viable...

5. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    thanks to all, I am actually pulling up some good prices on this on the web. just need to find the right set up like Media mentioned above. I fI can get any of these damn compnaies to reply back to me with their form only contact. I get so damn tired of not being able to call someone sometimes

6. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Google the company you want to phone and put phone number after the company name.

7. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    We bought ours directly from Sylvania Lighting Solutions in phoenix, they have branches across the country.

8. Hicalibersigns

Hicalibersigns Member

Apr 8, 2011