Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Question I Want To Make My Own Profiles

Discussion in 'RIP Software & Color Management' started by Bryce I, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Bryce I

Bryce I I'm Brie

Jul 18, 2019
    Northern Ca.
    Ok I'm sick of my colors not popping the way they should. Does anyone have some tips or links for building or getting great profiles? I need some "for dummies" type step by step type stuff for this. I print all day, but don't know much at all about level adjustments or quality settings, or how the profiles work. But I want to learn. I recently upgraded from using generic profiles to downloading profiles that match up with the media from roland, but just learned that those too are "canned?" How do I get my hands on those good uncanned ones? (rubs palms together).
    Any tips or links would be much appreciated. Using Roland Versaworks 6x and a Truevis-vg-540
    Also: we haven't made the switch from truevis to truevis 2 yet. Should I wait until after the change to start leaning into new profiles?

2. balstestrat

balstestrat Active Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Between the bits
    How much money have you got to invest for a spectro?
    Some RIP developers offer color management courses. There's a lot to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Anything you download that hasn’t been created from your own prints on your own printer(s) isn’t ideal.

You need to look into getting a spectro and creating your own profiles.

4. netsol

netsol Very Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj
    if you use flexi, all you need is. a I1 pro, buy one on ebay
    NOT ONE WITH UV CUT

if you will use xrite software, the license needs to be loaded in the spectro when you buy it

probably, $250 - $500

5. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

This can be a fun journey, but can also be a rabbit hole. There really is no end to the art and science of color. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know...

Best of luck to you!

Profile building at FireSprint.gif

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

7. C5 Service&Repair

C5 Service&Repair Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    What profiles are you using? The VG prints great color right out of the box, so if you arent getting colors that 'pop', you might jut need to use a different media type 'profile', or different settings under the color management pull down.
    There are other possibilities like what color space your design software is using and what profile is being embedded.
    Post a few pics of your versaworks settings and your design software color space settings

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    I also found experimenting with the Color Management dropdown in Versa helped get some POP

9. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    I dont think you're going to find a "colour management for dummies" anywhere.
    There's a lot of poor info on colour management on the internet. There's also very little good knowledge.
    90% of the stuff you'll find is "print a chart, read it, save profile, print" or something along those lines. When yes that's the absolute basic way of doing it. it's not always going to work well.
    When i first started, the "print - read - next" method seemed good, until i learnt what i was actually doing and how to tweak for optimum results.