• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I want to pay my employee by the Job

smworld

I am looking for any ideas or ways that someone is paying their production by the job. We do vinyl signs, banners and vehicile wraps. I am wanting to know if anyone is paying by the square foot or % of job and not by hour. We stay pretty busy and do a vehicle about every week and a half or two weeks.

Pat Whatley

If your employee has a brain in his head he's going to agree to it then triple what he expects you to be paying him since you'll be treating him like a sub-contractor.

ProWraps

its called piece work. he will be an independent contractor unless you are not very bright and make him an employee. and he will do the same for other people unless he is really dim. weigh your options and advantages/disadvantages for that scenario. there are definately both.

CS-SignSupply-TT

This begs the question, is he/she an EMPLOYEE -or- SUBCONTRACTOR? Are you trying to bypass payroll taxes and unemployment insurance? Do you want this person in your shop from open to close, or come and go as the work demands?

MikeD

A shop would be better off subcontracting the work out.
The employee wouldn't have much incentive and would most likely not develop any loyalty to you as an employer. They most likely would not perform at the level your customers require.

It's like having a nice boat and putting crap fuel into it.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
If a person doesn't set their own schedule and use their own tools, they are an employee. Employees are paid either a salary or by the hour.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
And don't forget a subcontractor comes and goes at his own discretion. If they are hitting your time clock also that makes them an employee as far as the Fed is concerned.

I have a brother in law who keeps making the same dumb mistake and the IRS just keeps handing him his head every few years.

SD&F

If they are paid as a sub-contractor be sure they understand that they are responsible for their own taxes. They should sign a form acknowledging this upfront. They will have the freedom to come and go at their leisure. I don't know how that would work for you. He can work for you and for someone else as well, no issue.

ironchef

Hey guys. I agree with the hourly pay. Just pay them good... you get what you pay for. Always. I offer small incentives to keep them happy. Like end of the year bonuses. Keep the fridge stocked with gatorade and other beverages. Having several employees, I'm flexible with scheduling. If given a notice. Its not like the restaurant busy, way more hardcore.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
just close your doors now and keep the money you have, because you will be out of business sooner or later....