• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help I want to start a new sign business in Australia

OzGrafic

Dear All,
I want to start my own sign business in Australia. I was in an industry which is quite different from signmaking, but I found myself really passionate about signs and digital printing months ago. I have researched online about this business and got some idea about equipment, material, products and graphic design, but I think I will need some systematic training or mentoring in sign business. Just wondering where can I get these training? How can I get in touch with professionals in this industry? Any thoughts will be appreciated!
Regards

OzGrafic

You could probably buy a franchise.
Thank you, Bly. Buying a franchise is on my list but I would like to know how I can start my own business without franchising. Even within a franchise system, I will still need to operate the business on my own, these professional training or mentoring will help me someday.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Since you wanna come into the business through a backdoor, let's try this........

What, if anything, do you already know about business ?? Not sign business, but business itself ??
What kinda money do you have laying around to dump into a new venture ??
What is your current understanding of signs....... not the business, but signs themselves ??
What is your target audience at the moment ??
Do you know ANYONE already in the sign world ??

OzGrafic

Since you wanna come into the business through a backdoor, let's try this........

What, if anything, do you already know about business ?? Not sign business, but business itself ??
What kinda money do you have laying around to dump into a new venture ??
What is your current understanding of signs....... not the business, but signs themselves ??
What is your target audience at the moment ??
Do you know ANYONE already in the sign world ??

Hi Gino,
Your questions are the best guide for me. I have asked most of them to myself. For privacy, you may find some of my replies are not detailed enough. Sorry about that.

1) Yes, I have got some fundamental financial knowledge and marketing knowledge and have read some business books.
2) I estimated the cost of starting and operating a sign business, including the equipment, premise rent, operating expenses, one staff, stock, living expenses, etc, we shall be ok.
3) I am drowning in the oceans of signs at the moment because I have got overwhelming information about all kinds of signs. I love signs because of their typography, colours, shapes, and information. However, I believe signs are not meant to be art (although they are beautiful and fascinating) but shall be a tool of attracting customers and boosting sales. I also have got knowledge of making signs which involved different materials/media, wide format printers/plotters and colours (CMYK and metallic, gold, silver, etc), but I don't know their "reactions". I think I won't truly understand them until I work on some projects.
4) Figuring out my target audience is my headache at the moment. I have made some attempt to find my potential customers but without a comprehensive understanding of this business, I am not confident to do my local market research or to meet my potential customers. So without any actual market research, my main tools for researching the customers are reading market research reports, googling, investing existing similar businesses, etc. In this case, my target audiences are new businesses, existing business who need renovation, vehicle owners, businesses who want to promote, etc.
5)Unfortunately, I have no family or close friend in the sign world at the moment. What I am planning now is to get some experiences and guidance from people who want to share theirs with me whether it is paid or not.

Thank you again for asking these questions to help me organize my thoughts.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You depend far too much on the internet and it's answers.

Get a real job in a sign shop for a few years and learn everything first hand...... or at least as much as you can.

No one can tell you or explain to you on a forum how to start up and run something you have no clue about. YOU need to learn for yourself and once you have a handle on things people such as on this forum, can offer you solutions and help, if you are still willing to learn at that point.

Not having anything invested for me, shows no real interest other than lipmservice. Not being cruel, just honest.

OzGrafic

You depend far too much on the internet and it's answers.

Get a real job in a sign shop for a few years and learn everything first hand...... or at least as much as you can.

No one can tell you or explain to you on a forum how to start up and run something you have no clue about. YOU need to learn for yourself and once you have a handle on things people such as on this forum, can offer you solutions and help, if you are still willing to learn at that point.

Not having anything invested for me, shows no real interest other than lipmservice. Not being cruel, just honest.

Hi Gino,
I saw my problem and I am trying to fix it. It seems my priority is to get hands-on experience. Will try to follow the practical suggestions by you and other friends. However, just want to point out that I have a REAL interest in the sign business. Probably I didn't express myself correctly. Anyway, thanks for your input.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It takes more than a real interest or yearning in anything to become good at something.

I'd like to do a lotta things, but I would most likely work with someone who can already do it and show me the ropes, rather then buy all the wrong stuff and have a buncha boat anchors laying around my backyard.

I'm not trying to discourage you from chasing your dreams, but I am trying to save you from jumping in the deep end and you can't even float, let alone swim. Nothing is an overnight task. It will take plenty of learning, watching, asking questions (both dumb and smart ones) and retaining all of this newfound knowledge.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
As someone who sells sign making equipment, I can tell you that Gino has a good point. I have had a good amount of people buy an entire print shop (printer, laminator, cutter, and some finishing equipment) and then a year later they come back asking us to buy it back because they got in over their head. Most of the successful sign shops I have seen started out in 1 of 3 ways. They inherited it from a relative who taught them everything they know, they got a job at a sign shop and then eventually struck out on their own, or they started with a vinyl cutter making yard signs in their basement after their full time job and outsourced everything else until they could afford to do it themselves. The people who do the research and then dive in the deep end are at a disadvantage. That's not to say you couldn't do it though. The fact that you have design skill is honestly huge. Now you just need the experience to make high quality product and the sales skills to get the actual jobs.

OzGrafic

It takes more than a real interest or yearning in anything to become good at something.

I'd like to do a lotta things, but I would most likely work with someone who can already do it and show me the ropes, rather then buy all the wrong stuff and have a buncha boat anchors laying around my backyard.

I'm not trying to discourage you from chasing your dreams, but I am trying to save you from jumping in the deep end and you can't even float, let alone swim. Nothing is an overnight task. It will take plenty of learning, watching, asking questions (both dumb and smart ones) and retaining all of this newfound knowledge.

Luckily, I asked my question before I start. I almost invest my money into it before I invest enough time and learning in it. Really appreciate for showing me the right way.

OzGrafic

As someone who sells sign making equipment, I can tell you that Gino has a good point. I have had a good amount of people buy an entire print shop (printer, laminator, cutter, and some finishing equipment) and then a year later they come back asking us to buy it back because they got in over their head. Most of the successful sign shops I have seen started out in 1 of 3 ways. They inherited it from a relative who taught them everything they know, they got a job at a sign shop and then eventually struck out on their own, or they started with a vinyl cutter making yard signs in their basement after their full time job and outsourced everything else until they could afford to do it themselves. The people who do the research and then dive in the deep end are at a disadvantage. That's not to say you couldn't do it though. The fact that you have design skill is honestly huge. Now you just need the experience to make high quality product and the sales skills to get the actual jobs.
Yes, I agree with you, Gino has a great point. I appreciate you share those three ways before I take a risky way.