• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I was that guy

grampa dan

It can be so intimidating to start in this business. There is so much to learn.

Design, layout, materials, colors, construction techniques, business skills, pricing, customer relations and thousand more things.

Back when I started (more than 40 years ago) I was young and very green. The sign business looked pretty simple. I bought a board, some paint and brushes and had at it. I quickly discovered I could make pretty good money doing what seemed like a lot of fun! It sure beat working. Those around me told me my work looked great.... which I suppose it did, taking into account my experience and young age. Now I know better.

It didn't take long to find out my prices were low compared to other shops out there. It didn't bother me for my costs were low too. But I quickly found out my competition didn't like me at all. My customers often told me I was doing the job for far less than anyone else.

Over time I discovered many things. One was that the money I brought in wasn't mine. I only got to keep what was left over after everyone else was paid. That included taxes of course. And I found out I wasn't making as much as I thought.

Over time I raised my prices. I also decided I was in it for the long haul and needed to get a whole lot better. I was still young and arrogant however. I decided I would work for my competition to learn the business. He offered me what I see now as a fair wage, although at the time I thought I could do far better on my own. So I stayed self employed learning through the school of hard knocks.

Over a period of many years my business grew and prospered. I became passionate about learning all I could about my craft and about business in general. And it worked out pretty well too.

Now as I see others coming up it makes me smile. I see sign makers with little knowledge. I hear seemingly silly questions, prices far too low and a general impatience to play with the big boys, to want to be good without putting in the time, all make me remember the days when I was just starting. I remember I was that guy, back in the day.

I know we all start out there, some progress quickly, others much slower, and some never seem to get by that transition period. We've all been that guy at one point in our careers. We need to remember that... and just smile.

-grampa dan

Last edited:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ah yes, the school of hard knocks...where the tests come before the lessons and the price of tuition is a lot of sweat and a little bit of blood now and again.

Given today's job market scene, it may perhaps be the best bargain out there.

I went through the bureaucracy of trying to get a temp. job last year when things were slow for me, and from what I can see, those folks (at the temp. agency) are nothing but a bunch of Job Nazis holding people back from opportunity. I even went so far as to hand my resume' to the receptionist at the company in question and they shot me down just inside the front door.

There's very little opportunity anymore of trying to land a job without an agency going to bat for you, and companies now days want the freedom to be able to bounce a bad egg without all the legal hassle, hence they tend to favor temps. for this reason.

So, if a guy (or gal) is going to get beat up just for trying, it makes the most sense to give their own skills a whirl...provided they really do have some talent (or at least show promise) along with some ambition...and an iron stomach to endure the stress.

I don't fret the newbies jumping into the trade. There are too many barriers along the way that will eventually weed out the wannabes. Everybody will pay their dues, one way or another.

CES020

Thanks Dan, you have a fantastic outlook on things, it's a pleasure to read your advice. Thanks for sharing it!

-Steve

Billct2

Good post Dan.
Though my path was completely diifferent I can emphaszie with the sentiments,
because no matter how you get in this trade it's an endless series of hard knocks as far as I can tell. Experience and wisdom hopefully mean it's just not the same mistakes, but new ones.

infinitesign

Ah yes, the school of hard knocks...where the tests come before the lessons and the price of tuition is a lot of sweat and a little bit of blood now and again.

Given today's job market scene, it may perhaps be the best bargain out there.

I went through the bureaucracy of trying to get a temp. job last year when things were slow for me, and from what I can see, those folks (at the temp. agency) are nothing but a bunch of Job Nazis holding people back from opportunity. I even went so far as to hand my resume' to the receptionist at the company in question and they shot me down just inside the front door.

There's very little opportunity anymore of trying to land a job without an agency going to bat for you, and companies now days want the freedom to be able to bounce a bad egg without all the legal hassle, hence they tend to favor temps. for this reason.

So, if a guy (or gal) is going to get beat up just for trying, it makes the most sense to give their own skills a whirl...provided they really do have some talent (or at least show promise) along with some ambition...and an iron stomach to endure the stress.

I don't fret the newbies jumping into the trade. There are too many barriers along the way that will eventually weed out the wannabes. Everybody will pay their dues, one way or another.

You are right there.