• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ICC profiles for IJ35-C and SP-540V

jeff412

I typically use Oracal 3165RAG, but decided to give 3M IJ35-C a try. It's about $40.00 cheaper per roll. I have already ordered more Oracal, but I don't have time to wait on it. I can't seem to get the profile correct. I am printing a 28" x 64" video game side art. It is 75% blue. I am getting large horizontal banding in the blue. The bands are about 2-3" in width in blue. It's not stripes, but fades from light blue to dark blue. I can't get a picture of it because the banding is very slight, but it is there. It alsmost looks like it was painted with spray paint. Is anyone using this vinyl on an SP-540V? What settings are you using? I've tried the oracal 3165 profile with the print temperature set to 98 F and 104 F, with no noticeable difference. The dry temperature is set to 104 F. Anyone have any suggestion on what setting would affect the banding more?

rstovall801

Is the banding only in the blue? I'm having the same issue on my 540, but it spans across all colors. I noticed it when I was printing a sign with a black background, and it would intermittently do a lighter fuzzy black. I made a print of 6 rectangles, 8" wide and 20" long, using 100% Cyan only on one rectangle, 100% Magenta for another, same with Yellow and Black, and 25% Cyan for Light Cyan, and 25% Magenta for Light Magenta. I then printed it with ICC profiles off. If there's only banding on the Cyan, then perhaps it is your head. I have banding across all my colors, so I have no idea what my issue is.

jeff412

It is probably in all colors, but it was just noticeable in the blue since I was printing such large areas of blue. It's not the heads, I have a perfect test print. I was using pre-press U.S. to print and went to Max Impact with uni-direction and was able to get an acceptable print. The only problem is that with Max-Impact the colors are off. I don't think it will matter on this job, but it would come back to bite me later. I am just going to use Oracal from now on. 3M may cost less, but it just doesn't work as well as oracal. At least on my printer. Plus it stinks to high heaven. I can't wait until I get it used up. The printer runs 8 - 12 hours a day and that 3M stuff really smells up the shop. Jeff