• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ice Cream Parlor Layout Critique

TheSellOut

Hey guys, wanted to see what you all thought on this layout! Ice cream cones are modified clip art and this will first be used as a window decoration and eventually a sign that will be cut to shape.

Attachments

• Athens Ice Cream Parlor.jpg
    Athens Ice Cream Parlor.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 108

Jim Doggett

Hey guys, wanted to see what you all thought on this layout! Ice cream cones are modified clip art and this will first be used as a window decoration and eventually a sign that will be cut to shape.

I think it works and looks nice. Athens and Parlor have prro readability due to low contrast. But ICE CREAM pops, and leaves no doubt you can get a cone from these guys.

So muting the Athens and Parlor is probably a benefit.

Good job, IMO.

Jim

Ponto

Nice job...!

I, personally, would change the cone graphics and depart from the "mirrored" effect of the left and right sides... the graphics are OK but seems a bit contrived ...

JP

ddubia

I love everything about it except Athens and Parlor being the same font and color. For some reason I couldn't help reading "Athens Parlor" when I first opened it.

But the colors are slam dunk and appropriate. Ice Cream has just enough of the right treatment that enhances it without going overboard. The layout is great.

signmeup

I'd consider simplifying it a bit. Maybe even go more retro with the colours.

Trying to avoid work today.....

I tarted up my idea with some drop shadows and a shade to simulate a 3D sign. "ICE CREAM" would be on a big gentle curve.

Attachments

• AthensIceCream.jpg
    AthensIceCream.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 85
  • AthensIceCreamDi.jpg
    AthensIceCreamDi.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

TheSellOut

Thanks for everyone's input so far. I really like Signme's oval in the background, which is funny cause I tried that originally an didn't like it, but after seeing his I decided to try it again! I do like the colors but I might try messing with the "Athens/Parlor" font and color. Signme, what font did you use? I like that too!

Attachments

• Athens Ice Cream Parlor2.jpg
    Athens Ice Cream Parlor2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 74

signmeup

The Font? Why that's A&S Jillbeans. A casual slab serif with lots of character. Based on a hand lettered style by sign artist Jill Welsh. Two font set includes regular and bold.

rjpjr

regarding the original post, I really like the overall feel except the negative space at the bottom on each side of Parlor bothers me a little. Maybe arch the main copy to reduce that negative space. I agree with the others comments concerning the Athens and Parlor typefaces. Also, maybe the text could use higher contrast. A quick throw together to show shape possibilities only...

IMHO, The oval design may be a little bit too busy. ??

Attachments

• Athens.jpg
    Athens.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 93

signgal

rofl @ signmeup's plug

love this look... i like your fonts in post #8 with the oval and line accents but i like how the cone art takes a back seat in sign me ups... i don't think they should be part of the "logo" if you know what I mean

ActualGrafix

Try changing the Athens Parlor font. Your eye gets drawn to the Athens Parlor first which makes it . . . . Athens Parlor Ice Cream

Other than that it looks great

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While I like it composition-wise... I think the colors are nice, but too much pastel. Nothing has any punch until you get up close.

Some contrast might work wonders for you.

JR's

It's looking really good,
what I would change is Athens rotated counterclockwise a little bit and then bend it a little bit. Make it a tad bigger.
Ice cream looks good a little drop shadow would make it pop a little more.
Parlor change that to a simple sans serif letter style. With caps and have it just on the back oval.

Where did you get the clip art of the ice cream cones thay look really neat.

JR

Jillbeans

The colors seem really weak. Nothing stands out.
Try a bright pink background (like Pepto Bismol color or darker)
Other than that it makes me crave a small chocolate cone dipped in chocolate.
I like the oval idea.
Love....Jill