• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Idea

SignManiac

Unless you screen print your images, I doubt you will get ten years out of solvent or UV printing methods. Outdoors they will start fading noticeably in five years and that's with a laminate.

Pat Whatley

By the way DFS, I hope you're no under the impression that what you're talking about is a unique production method. I would strongly recommend not using the melamine covered stuff outdoors, even with the edge banding. It's the wrong material for the job. There are plenty of synthetic materials available with the same thickness and easily workable properties that will hold up much, much longer and won't have the weight issues particle board has.

dfs

I guess I need to apologize again. I am not suggesting that any members would steal my idea. I was told not to mention the final user pending a possible licensing agreement.

I did not say this was a new, unique or special idea.

I will look into using other types of substrate. The Econolite look interesting. I had not considered a flatbed printer, just assumed I would be printing on a roll of film. The Lexan I am looking at does have some UV resistance and can handle high temps (if I choose to use a heat activated adhesive). I will look into printing on a laminated film, then laminate with a Tedlar film.
Thanks for the ideas!
Duane

G-Artist

As to "1/2'” thick, particle board laminated with melamine top and bottom..." I don't know what that is unless you actually mean front and back.

Forget "particle" anything and go with Masonite (as suggested) or check out Scooter Board. SB is intended for outdoor use and costs are reasonable.

Screen printing (as suggested) will give you at least 10x the outdoor life than any inkjet print ever made, maybe more.

BTW, your "idea" may be protectable. A new use for an existing product is eligible for patent protection.