Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas for changeable sign on a trailer

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Aboveallgraphics, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Aboveallgraphics

Aboveallgraphics Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I need ideas on how to fabricate a changeable sign for a box trailer. I want to be able to slide out the substrate and turn it over to be used for different events. For instance one event is a charity event and the charity logo would be used then the next week may be a paying event and the for profit side of the sign would be used.

I am thinking of using aluminum and pop-riveting some kind of track on the side of the trailer.

Any ideas on what to use for a track and how to secure the one end that must be left open to change the substrate.....or any other ideas at all??

Thanks

Tags:
  2. Aboveallgraphics

Aboveallgraphics Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Thanks Jhill for the link.
    Any ideas about securing the "open" end??

3. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Did a batch of trucks using J-Channel. It is the type used to hang large mirrors. Perfect for holding sheets of coro or foam pvc.
    3 sides of the frame were riveted with the last piece being fastened with TEK screws.
    If the trailer is to be towed with the panels you will need to put some VHB tabs on the back to keep panel from bowing at highway speeds.

Why did I do this? This was prior to anti-graffiti coatings and trucks were going into vandal/tagging prone cities. Client wanted a quick solution. Sprayed bombed panel could be R&R'ed in minutes. Ta-Da!

4. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    What Jhill suggested, open end is secured using screws into the wto horizontal tracks, they're designed for it.

5. cajun312

cajun312 Active Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Louisiana
    There are some frame systems that use banners that are easy to swap out.

6. ironchef

ironchef Very Active Member

May 1, 2012
    Miami, FL
    I asked this a while back ago, look thru my posts

7. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

That was going to be my suggestion. That system is also available from Sign Comp, I beleive.

8. Aboveallgraphics

Aboveallgraphics Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Thanks for all the replies.

Ironchef...Do you know what the heading would be on your posts? I looked at a list of all the posts you have started and did not see anything.

9. ironchef

ironchef Very Active Member

May 1, 2012
    Miami, FL
    Sorry i didnt start the post i bumped it so i could find it later, lol

Attached Files:

10. ol'phart

ol'phart Member

May 10, 2011
    You need the same type of frame they use on the side of city busses. Google sign holders busses and see what happens

11. Aboveallgraphics

Aboveallgraphics Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Thanks for the suggestions gang.

I also learned about the banner track which will come in handy for future reference.

This place is awesome!!

12. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    I like the sign comp extrusions for sliding panels in/out, like jill posted.
    also a cool idea, is sign comp's "snap frame" that can be used for banners as well.

edited: buuuut I like Lightning's video post, suggesting the sign comp wall mount tension frame that we use for our oversized illuminated pylon signage... as it will most likely resist the elements, while driving on the road, better than my suggested snap frame kit.

Attached Files: