Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas for new tools.

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by The Big Squeegee, Jan 5, 2011.

1. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    It is getting to be pretty slow as the winter time always is. It's time to take a good look at what the sign writers need that is not available.

I made this video to show a couple of thoughts I have. What do you think of it? any more ideas?

Tags:
  2. Sign-Man Signs

Sign-Man Signs Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Handy tool Dale.

3. That's a pretty handy gizmo!

Also dig the splitter thing.

4. mikey-Oh

mikey-Oh Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2009
    okc
    did it rip the corner on the bottom left of the print?

5. petesign

petesign Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    Yeah, what did you split the backing with?

6. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I put a 2$ bubble level on the big squeegee a long time ago.... just for that type of applications ......what would be the price for this type of tool and when people see it ...why would they buy it for your price when they could just add a 2$ level from the local harbor freight?

7. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    how many graphics have you cut in half with that slitter?

8. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I am interested in that slitter as well. I have seen them at my screen printers but have never found anyone who sells them

9. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005
  10. The Big Squeegee

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    No, the missing corner was because I went dumpster diving.:popcorn:

That was a very rough prototype that I slapped together. I plan to get them made on a large scale if there is any interest for something like that.

You can also use it to slit the backing before placing on a sign blank to make using the Big Squeegee for center hinging much easier. It would probably come in handy for splitting the backing on wraps as well.

Yes, you can put a bubble on existing tools. I put them on the new ones for your convenience. The $3.50 extra hardly pays for time to mount it.

11. fmg

fmg Very Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Mos Def! Great little tool that would be.

12. The Big Squeegee

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    I knew that one existed.

I wanted one that would mount on the squeegee so it would be more readily available. The one I am working up is much much simpler than that one. The one in the video is square but what I have been designing is 5/8" diameter and about 1" long.

13. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I use an old blade holder with blade from my pnc950...set blade depth in about 15 secs on a scrap of the same material and you are good to go :thumb:

14. mikey-Oh

mikey-Oh Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2009
    okc
    hahaha, sweet

15. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

+1 for the splitter, we'd buy several, we have a number of customers who request split backing on decals and we're currently doing it with a cheap letter opener from the office supply store but they don't last long and the blades aren't replaceable. If yours was able to use a standard razor blade or #11 Xacto blade I think it would sell pretty well.

16. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    I tried contacting this outfit quite a while ago and never could get anyone...are you sure they are still around?

17. The Big Squeegee

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    I'm planning on a 5,000 piece order to see how they sell. I haven't got any prices back yet but I think they will sell for under $15. The blades will be made of cobalt steel and should last much longer than an Xacto blade. Blade replacement will be very easy and not much more costly than an Xacto blade.

Some of my trials have shown me that I need a special blade for this purpose.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  18. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Let us know when you get them going! Do you need someone to test one?:) If so you can count me in!

19. Rojo

Rojo Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Monterey Bay
    +1 on keeping us up to date on the slitter. I'm up for a couple whenever they are ready.