• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ideas...Gloss black on flat black

splizaat

Hey guys!

Got a request today for Gloss black pattern on flat black. My first thoughts were gloss black die cut vinyl over flat black sheet of vinyl....second thoughts were print solid black on matte finish vinyl on a Roland UV Printer and print the pattern itself in clear UV only.

Can anyone else think of a way to make this work? Will the UV method even work? And if so, who here has a UV Roland Printer that would be possible to get some(probably 5'x4' sheet) of this material printed and to me by the 19th for an event...fairly small job but just bouncing ideas.

Matt

splizaat

Thinking more into this...what if we took Matte Black 3M 1080 Film and only printed the black pattern to it -- Roland Eco-Sol is pretty glossy even when shot to matte film.

Mosh

I have used matt cut vinyl on gloss painted cars, looks pretty cool. That is what I would try.

splizaat

The problem with this job Mosh is that it's a small repeating pattern of a customer's logo (think gucci or louis vuitton for example) to be glossy on the matte film. I'd imagine the logos to be 1" or so...pretty small.

Maybe print black once, return to origin...if it doesn't look glossy enough, print again?

Last edited:

Jillbeans

I've been doing this (probably too much) with painted signs a lot lately.
Love the look.
I haven't the foggiest how to do it with printing though.
Love....Jill

iprint

How about printing black on gloss black vinyl. Might be enough variation of shiny-ness to look cool. You would have to reverse out the image. Not sure what equipment you have, but when I print on gloss, the print looks more matte than the vinyl.

ProWraps

heres one i just completed that is matte and gloss...

the matte is 3m 1080 and the gloss is printed and lamed 180c/8518 overlays.

Attachments

• gg.jpg
    gg.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 107

splizaat

Awesome we will give this a shot. My only other idea was to print solid black and laminate with matte film (so its laminated) and then print the pattern in black onto the matte lam (exposed). But I suppose that's the same as printing to already matte black vinyl.

splizaat

Printed black ink to matte black 3M 1080 Wrap film and it turned out AWESOME. Thank you everyone. Although not laminated, this project is a show vehicle so it'll remain indoors most of the time and should last quite a while without

HulkSmash

Matte Black with Gloss Overlays Attached.

It looks sexy in person.. just an awesome affect.

Attachments

• 225374_608452665838929_1374482625_n.jpg
    225374_608452665838929_1374482625_n.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 104