• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ideas on how to accomplish

DirtyD

I have a client that runs a Tae Kwon Do facility. They have a wall that they paint black belts on with the persons name and the paint a stripe on the belt to symbolize which degree of black belt they have achieved, I have attached a photo of what they currently have.

What they want is a new way of doing this. They hate them painted on and they dont like the stripes they are doing either. They were thinking of doing columns for the different degree of belts and then moving the belt to its designated column. By doing this we would need magnets or a velcro system. has anyone done something like this or have an idea of how they could display the black belts in a neat and clean looking way?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20160708_141210.jpg
    20160708_141210.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 75

2B

we do a fair amount of record boards for schools and have found that using vinyl is better than velcro or magnets, easy enough to peel off the record board and apply the new record plus its more budget friendly.
in this case, I would suggest a repositionable vinyl like Photo-Tex since they are using the same information and moving it

bannertime

Yeah, I second the cut vinyl or low tac wall vinyl. The velcro will look bad. If they don't want to pay for printed or cut vinyl names, then make a stack of belts with an area they can use permanent marker on. If they want to add "stripes" to the belt, then cut out a stack of stripes they can put on.

T_K

These two guys are on the mark. You could even suggest doing a batch of cut names all at once, even if they're not ready yet to go on the wall. That way, the customer effectively gets a discount on each name versus doing one-offs. Or perhaps doing a batch seasonally.

Another option I'd offer, to keep the cost down, is a "batch it with other projects" option. We regularly run projects that have wasted white space, just because of the dimensions. If this guy can wait for us to batch it in with another job instead of "on demand" cutting, then I'd lower the price. It's the trade-off between time and money.

I say all this because these kinds of jobs can be a headache. I had a customer from a motorcycle shop always wanting a rush job on 2-color vinyl decals for the bikes. He'd never give us more than an hour or two notice of when he "must" have them. And he always complained about the price. At first we tried to work with him, but as he persisted in being a nuisance, we started increasing the prices. If he had worked with us more, I'd have tried to keep a discount, since he was a regular. I even offered him ways to do that, but he'd never change.

Marlene

there are 10 degrees of black belt. it would look nicer if they had just one belt for each degree and then under that the names of those who hold them. I'd make 10 signs, maybe on clear acrylic with a belt and the degree permanatly on the acrylic and then have the name printed on a clear decal so that as they move up in rank, you replace the whole decal so it never looks pieced or patched

JoeBoomer

Low tac vinyl is prob. your best bet. Velcro will look a little weird, and magnetic material is overkill for something that isn't going to change that often.