• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ideas on switching inks

ucmj22

What is the consensus on 20/20 inks. I figure they have been around long enough now to get some good opinions on whether or not its worth it to make the switch.

CS-SignSupply

What printer and ink are you currently using? I am sure you can search the forum and find all kinds of posts related to the 20/20 inks as well as others. We offer the Solaris inks for Roland and Mimaki JV3 and have cartridge and bulk clients that are very happy.

ucmj22

I searched for 20/20 and got nothing. maybe i did something wrong. I am running about a 16 month old roland xc-540. Just looking for opinions from people who have made the switch.

CS-SignSupply

I believe the Eleven10 ink was the same as the 20/20... maybe search for that. Search SOLARIS and I am sure you will find plenty of posts.

Last edited:

ChicagoGraphics

I'm using 20/20 High solvent for my Mimaki JV3 the inks are good but still to costly for a cartridge for 3rd party inks. Now I'm switching to a bulk system using 1ltr. bottles of Durafos solvent ink.

NZDR-Payne

ucmj22 - this thread got my attention because it had switching ink in the titled. But that's not why I'm replying. I see you are in Herrin, IL? I grew up just outside Benton. My immediate family is still there. I don't run into too many shops in good old Southern Illinois (and by "southern" I don't mean south of Kankakee).

I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't mention checking out Lyson inks from Nazdar.

ucmj22

ucmj22 - this thread got my attention because it had switching ink in the titled. But that's not why I'm replying. I see you are in Herrin, IL? I grew up just outside Benton. My immediate family is still there. I don't run into too many shops in good old Southern Illinois (and by "southern" I don't mean south of Kankakee).

I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't mention checking out Lyson inks from Nazdar.

I moved down here about 3.5 years ago from northern IL (by Northern I mean north of Kankakee. lol) there is too many sign shops down here if you ask me, but I'm biased. funny you mention switching to Lyson while there is an active thread "problem with Lyson ink":covereyes:

CS-SignSupply-TT

Hey, once you get past "problem with Lyson ink" you will begin to notice a trend. Unless the INK is an "UTTER FAILURE", the success of your third party ink or OEM ink for that matter, is DIRECTLY proportional to the service and support provided by the dealer. Your dealer is your first line of defense before and after you get your hands dirty.

ucmj22

well, our machine is only 16 months old so I havent had any problems thus far; but I would hate to switch inks and suddenly have to call support once a month. has anyone had issues with increased clogs, slower dry times or lack of color fastness that they could report? these are the things I am worried about. if not, the $40 a cartridge savings from roland brand would be nice.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Since GRIMCO has the exclusive on the 20/20 ink, NAZDAR handles/owns Lyson, and CiberSupply offers Solaris, why don't you get a list of 3 or 4 out of market users and call them for their opinions?

CS-SignSupply-TT

By the way, I am confused. You said you are using a 16 month old Mimaki JV3, but then you talk about the $40 savings per cartridge from your "Roland brand"??? Does your JV3 have a 12 month or 24 month warranty? Is it a JV3 or JV33? Did you buy it new or used?

ucmj22

By the way, I am confused. You said you are using a 16 month old Mimaki JV3, but then you talk about the $40 savings per cartridge from your "Roland brand"??? Does your JV3 have a 12 month or 24 month warranty? Is it a JV3 or JV33? Did you buy it new or used?

Nope, Roland XC-540, bought new. It is under 24 month warranty.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Not only would I recommend Roland OEM for the balance of the warranty, but I would suggest a warranty visit/check up prior to the warranty expiration. This gives you peace of mind that the XC540 is operating according to factory specs/warranty before the warranty expires.

ucmj22

Not only would I recommend Roland OEM for the balance of the warranty, but I would suggest a warranty visit/check up prior to the warranty expiration. This gives you peace of mind that the XC540 is operating according to factory specs/warranty before the warranty expires.

thanks for the idea. would that be a visit covered under the warranty, or would we have to pay for that?

ucmj22

i'll give it a try (in a few months), Last time I called them they charged me a consultation fee.