• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ideas to make this "Pop"?

mrchips

Here is a situation where these white, raised letters on light colored brick just don't "pop". They really can't be removed and I can't get a mask behind them because they are attached right to the brick. Black returns would help but it would be just a bear of a job. I was thinking that I could make a frame with HDU molding around the letters (attached to the brick) and paint the background black or something.

I'm totally open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks,

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 64
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 68

Fitch

Hey Joe... just paint a rounded corner frame, - say deep (but bright) blue, remove the acrylics and paint the backs the same colour as well as the studs / screws... maybe a rounded frame around those? . Maybe the best you can do apart from adding some hdu flourishes or something...???

Pretty limited apart from doing a background and (removing) then replacing the letters.

Cheers - G

Marlene

I was thinking that I could make a frame with HDU molding around the letters (attached to the brick) and paint the background black or something.

that sound like a good idea. you could paint it a nice blue or black and then the white letters would show up. I would suggest replacing the names as they are old and cracked. also I would suggest stud mounting them to the painted brick and not using the clear plastic.

also I know in my part of the world, the painted brick area would count as sign square footage. you might wnat to check with your local zoning to make sure you don't have to worry about that.

Mosh

Remove the letters and put them on a background like MDO, HDU, Max-Metal. Anything dark colored. Don't paint the brick, that will look so home-made and unprofessional. The letters should come of, I bet the are just on there with studs glued into the brick. Pry them out.

Sell them on a whole new sign and that way if you break one no big deal. If they are metal they shouldn't break to easy anyway.

signmeup

Gild 'em.

I'm with Mosh...selling them a new sign would be the best option. I think painted brick would look bad and you're screwed if they don't like the finished result.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Patina the entire wall... on the darker side... and repaint the letters.

Don't forget you need a period on the second name.

the only way i would touch the project would be to redo it completely..don't try to reuse the old letters it isn't a pleasing layout as is in my opinion..don't try to paint a box and frame them in.

how does that old saying go about no matter how much you polish a turd...it's still a peice of..

truly not trying to be negative mr chips your work is top notch you don't need to get involved with somehting like this unless it is going to be done correctly

SignosaurusRex

the only way i would touch the project would be to redo it completely..don't try to reuse the old letters it isn't a pleasing layout as is in my opinion..don't try to paint a box and frame them in.

how does that old saying go about no matter how much you polish a turd...it's still a peice of..

truly not trying to be negative mr chips your work is top notch you don't need to get involved with somehting like this unless it is going to be done correctly

I'm with Dan 100%

Up Sell them to dimensional 1" thick HDU with black edge paint and Brushed bright gold Chemetal surface.

mrchips

Thanks everyone!

One of the problems here is that the state moved the road away from the building many years ago (modernized 4 lane) to help trafic flow from the city to the burbs. I'm sure the letters are more than 30 years old. I tried pulling one off by hand and it didn't budge. I'm afraid to try prying cause I'm pretty sure they might be pretty brittle and I'm not gonna take a chance of cracking one untill a decision is made about what to do.

They also have a hanging sign that was made over 30 years ago and was refurbished by me about 6 years ago. It was made of mahogany and is starting to rot internally. I hung a "Boarding" sign under it with screw eyes and it pulled out of the mahogany in the wind. That's the one I want to replace.

Improving this wall sign is sorta an aside (it was my suggestion to begin with) so they may not be too keen to do anything at all with it especially if it's gonna cost serious $$$.

I thougt that by painting a background a very dark, flat color would minimize the bricks as there would be no shadows showing them. But "home made" doesn't flip my switch one bit.

Thanks for the feedback.....it helps a lot! :thankyou:

Here is the existing, hanging sign (They have a new lamp post now that it is mounted to.....PVC)

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

Attachments

• IMG_2003.jpg
    IMG_2003.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 55

Marlene

can you bid for a new sign that will cover the entire area? after 30 years, it seems like time for a new sign. if worse comes to worse, the flat black would work as well as any painted wall sign would. if you go with a new sign, removing the letters won't be an issue and what ever they leave behind in the way of discoloration or globs of goo will be covered up.

btropical.com

Remove all plants , re landscape , remove docs names sh#t can , pressure wash add some big prints or vectors of animals below lettering if it can be saved .

SignManiac

I'd either get them to spend the money to do it right, take the letters down, and do a nice carved panel, or just walk away and let it stand as is. No matter how you scrimp, you won't turn those letters into a portfolio piece.

Run something like this by them and see if you can get their juices flowing?

Attachments

• Farmington animal.jpg
    Farmington animal.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 70

MikePro

+1 to sign maniac's idea, I like it!
the red/black/white goes great with the brick, and really makes those white letters go *POP*

you should make it a pan-faced sign and make the top portion a bit wider to cover the existing lettering (or simply an MDO/aluminum panel, but installed with brackets to mount right over the existing).... just go over the top of it all. Then you'll not have to worry about repairing holes in the brick.

save you time, and them money on demo/installation.

*added
if they like the dimensional portion of it, maybe even include an option to make the new panel(s), but adhere the old letters to the new panel you're using to cover all the damage to the brick.