• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ideas Wanted: Dimentional Sign For Store Inside Mall ...

player

I am going to fabricate a mall store sign for the entrance on the bulkhead over the store doors inside the mall.

I have a CNC, a digital printer and I have made many electric signs in years gone by, so I have a good grasp of manufacturing, just a little rusty. I did take a primer course on LED's last year...

I want to make a sign that has a carrier box so the client can easily remove the whole thing and reinstall it. I will have the transformers and electrical guts inside the box so I can get it approved as a portable device with a 110 plug. This way the client does not have to do electrical installation and inspections every time he changes locations, which is something he says he will probably do.

I designed a banner with a nice artsy pattern background and the lettering was white with an outline and a shadow over the background. There are capital letters. The sign might be 8', 10', 12' or even 16', depending on costs, but I think the 10' or 12' is more like it.

So I am thinking about an aluminum box with a frame, low profile, and then cut letters out of PVC, maybe 1' thick on standoffs. Then I would put LED lights behind on the back of the letters. The background on e panel, printed and perhaps matte laminate.

So does that sound feasible? Any suggestions for standoffs, materials, or any ideas or samples I could look at?

What are push through letters? I am interested also in cutting the lettering out of the e panel and replacing the negative areas with cut plexi letters, but I am not sure how to execute that style.

Any ideas, samples, links etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks

attachment.php

Attachments

• Crazy Mary's 1.jpg
    Crazy Mary's 1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 174

J Hill Designs

push through letters are just that.

letters are cut out of the background (in your case ACM with print)
then, 1/2" clear acrylic is routed out and attached to a white plex backer, then 'pushed through' the opening
face of acrylic is usually covered in translucent vinyl, which diffuses the light, and since its clear, you get a 'halo' effect out of the edges of the letters.

ams

How do the letters stay in place?

Do you use 1/4" e panel?

The backer you put the letters on is (most of the time) a rectangle clear backer which is often glued or VHB taped to the inside front of the cabinet.