• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Identifying Material By Label

sewfun52

I have a lot of different roll materials. Since I print, most of it is white. Does anyone know of a product I can stick in the top of the 3" roll to put the material ID on?

Thanks!

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Core ID cards. We made our own using 3mm CNC Cut PVC and printed labels with a color coded general category printed at the top (Vinyl, Laminate, Banner, Translucent, Specialty) and we write in descriptions and part numbers underneath. Grimco has something similar...
Grimco.com: Core ID Cards

shoresigns

You don't need a CNC to make your own core ID cards. We print from a template, apply it to PVC, then cut it with a ruler. The left/right sides are at an angle so the top is slightly wider than 3" and the bottom is slightly less.

Attachments

• 20170216_102937-resized.jpg
    20170216_102937-resized.jpg
    863.3 KB · Views: 238
We cut ID cards out of 3mm PVC and apply printed decals to them to identify standard roll materials. We also keep a few blanks around for new materials that we can conveniently label with a Sharpie.

Johnny Best

I do not get that involved with the labels, after I take it off the roll I put on top of printer.
labels.jpg

Just take a 4"wide by 12" with a strip of masking tape and write what it is on paper. I keep the plastic sleeve that comes with the roll over it. So I just pull it out and read what it says. Sorry it is not something to get all involved with.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
So you guys are saying you don't ID your materials by taste and smell?
I must have held over that habit from my commercial tinting days when you'd roll the corner of the material with your teeth to separate the liner.
(IJ180c tastes best)

We use mostly 3M - has the info printed on the inside of the core.

wayne k
guam usa

jfiscus

Rap Master
We go through a LOT of materials here, but we try to keep our "go to" materials in their own area and the oddballs in another. That in itself helps a lot when checking inventory "at a glance". Otherwise, we use little "T" shaped cards we had cut out of sintra or pvc that we write on with a dry erase marker.