• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

If out of ink, can you bypass it?

Imminent Death

So we're working on a job that uses only Black ink on our JV3-130. Well, I don't know how this happened, but somebody forgot to order more ink for our printer. Our printer says it ran out of Yellow during this print job that is all Black. Is there any way to bypass the Yellow so I don't lose 3 banners that were printing? There's no Yellow at all in this job, so why is it telling me that I'm out suddenly?

Right now the machine is stopped at the point where it ran out of ink. I don't want to have to reprint these things again if I can avoided it.

Can anyone help?

gabagoo

I don't know about you, but I have the same machine and the last thing I can do is print black by itself. Black on it's own looks like a brownish rust colour. If you have run out of yellow while printing an all black banner then the printer is using yellow . When I want to print a rich black I need minimum 50% of every colour with 90% k. Have you checked your values of the colour black? I would almost predict that you are running more than just black.

Checkers

To get a "black" black, most rips and printers will use black as the primary color and some percentage of CMY. If all the colors were not used, the black can look a little gray.
I can't help ya with the printer though.

Checkers

signguytom

Photoshop black is: C75% M68% Y67% K90%

Your rip will probably tweak it some, depending on the media profile, but to get good grays and black, you will be using all 4 ink colors.

If the system were perfect, there would be no black ink at all. It is there to enhance shadows and reduce color casts on grays and black.

threeputt

Signguytom, in your opinion is the PhotoShop black model the most useful to run on a printer? It seems to lay down to much of a deposit of ink for us.

We try to use 30-30-30-100 when we assign black from our layout program. PhotoShop black is of course much richer.

GB2

Old Member
Also, just a reminder, though now it's probably too late...don't delay replacing the cartridge when you've run out of ink because you will almost certainly clog your lines and/or your print head.

eforer

We use a 30/30/30 100 black with great results. If its an S and not and SP save yourself some grief and go to firmware 3.10. Its the bulk friendly firmware. The best thing we ever did was go to triangle inks.

Checkers

Since we're hijacking this theread, I've done the 30/30/30/100 with good results. However, there is no subsitution for proper media profiling.
Building and using the correct profiles for your media and printer will improve the quality of the printed image and save you money in the long run.
Good color management and profiling will insure that you're producing accurate prints, cutting down on waste. It will also limit ink usage to only what is needed to acurately reproduce a color (most obviously black).

Checkers

jiarby

I use "Army Black", from their Army Logo "Mini-Brand Guide".
40-30-20-100

Attachments

• armyblack.jpg
    armyblack.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 94

eforer

Since we're hijacking this theread, I've done the 30/30/30/100 with good results. However, there is no subsitution for proper media profiling.
Building and using the correct profiles for your media and printer will improve the quality of the printed image and save you money in the long run.
Good color management and profiling will insure that you're producing accurate prints, cutting down on waste. It will also limit ink usage to only what is needed to acurately reproduce a color (most obviously black).

Checkers

We profile everything in house too, but I've found on the black a little fine tuning in the color replacement arena ensures that prints with big fields of black remain consistent. The black from our custom profiles looks good, but it is right on the line of not being black enough if that makes sense, so throwing a little more ink at the solid fields of black is cheap insurance on making sure it looks perfect in the end.

Back on topic, firmware 3.10 = awesome.