• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

If this was happening to any other software.................

signguy 55

Just a thought before you put all your eggs in Adobe's cloud basket. I swear, if this was any other software we would stop using it immediately. Plus, on top of that, paying a monthly fee to where you never truly own the software.

I think I'll just stick to my program cd's and manage my own files, thank you very much. I don't have to upgrade every time something new comes out.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/08/technology/security/adobe-security/index.html?source=cnn_bin

Baz

I checked yesterday. They still have CS6 for sale for the people who don't want the cloud (myself included).

rjssigns

CS6 will be the last adobe product I buy. When that is no longer viable I'll start using Corel.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
After two frustrating snafus with trying to get on the CC, I called and asked for the permanent CS6 license. They still have them available, but they don't advertise it on the web page.

JB

WildWestDesigns

Noooooo don't say that!

I'm a huge fan of Corel, but I wouldn't buy into their subscription crap either. I'd get the latest version, and then make sure clients' files are compatible with our "special sign software" lol.

Trust me, I would really hate if that were to happen as my embroidery software is directly interfaced with Corel and has been since X4 and if Corel goes subscription, then it's highly likely Wilcom will as well.

I do foresee though if Corel does go subscription (especially if it's subscription only) that Inkscape might get more updates and development pick back up on a quicker pace.

SignManiac

At this point in Corels development, I'm running X6, I don't see a need for anything else they could offer. This does all of what I need it for and more. It's a hell of a tool as is. The rest would just be more bells and whistles.

WildWestDesigns

At this point in Corels development, I'm running X6, I don't see a need for anything else they could offer. This does all of what I need it for and more. It's a hell of a tool as is. The rest would just be more bells and whistles.

Unfortunately, I think that's part of the problem with Adobe and their main programs as well. Pretty much "fully" developed, but they still need to keep selling. It makes sense, just not that great for us.

I don't like the fact that Corel now just limits to 3 computers with X6, but again I understand it. It just really sucks since it's interfaced with the other program I use.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
What will all of you do when customers start sending you cc1, cc2, cc3 files and so on in the future? If you never accept customer files then you can stick with whatever makes you happy. Will you tell your customers to save to another format or save down?

I am on CC only because I do accept files all day long. Not everyone has the ability to resave the file in another format if the designer was short sighted and saved the file in it's native cc format

By the way avoiding the cloud does not help you with the issues mentioned in that news story. Aside from the customer info breach, the pdf and flash problems have nothing to do with cc. If you have either on your machine which probably 90% do, then you are at risk

WildWestDesigns

What will all of you do when customers start sending you cc1, cc2, cc3 files and so on in the future? If you never accept customer files then you can stick with whatever makes you happy. Will you tell your customers to save to another format or save down?

90% of the time, I get raster images (even from members on here). Which unless there are radically different protocols in those file formats, that's a none issue. Those that do send me clean vectors (not raster files saved as Ai, eps, and/or CDR files) are able to save in legacy formats. You also have to remember that the industry standard software that I use is linked to Corel, which isn't considered the industry standard for design companies. That already presents issues with using the current file formats as it is, so that means that I have to already ask for legacy formats etc from Adobe.

I know professionals in my industry that ask for much older Adobe files then I do and that doesn't affect them all that much.

I am on CC only because I do accept files all day long. Not everyone has the ability to resave the file in another format if the designer was short sighted and saved the file in it's native cc format

Those tend to also send files with text not converted to curves. Which might make the issue a moot point anyway.

Joe Diaz

Oh you would be surprised. I think the sky is the limit. There is a thread on CorelDraw's forum where members post ideas and suggestions for future features. Some of the features people are asking for are really cool ideas. But a bunch of these ideas are stuff that I never even considered, but after I read them I think, "man that would be handy, I wonder why I didn't think of that?" I agree that it's a hell of a tool, but there is always room for improvement, even if they are simple time saving things or improvements to existing tools.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I remember back in 1986, a year after we got our Gerber Sprint System, when we purchased our first real computer for the shop. ANAgraph running in DOS mode on a screaming 10 MHz - 20 meg harddrive. They told me, I'd never need anything more than this. Wow, were they ever wrong............ :omg:

Now, look at where we're at.

synergy_jim

I remember when the first 1GB hard drives came out.... people said " this is more storage than you will ever use in your life" ...... That's laughable. Don't ever think things cant be made better or change. You will be left in an obsolete cloud of dust and people who adapt and change faster will be stealing all of your work.....

rjssigns

I'm curious how this CC deal will go and what impact it will have on freeware. I bet I could get along just fine with the features found in GIMP.
As far as "designers" sending CC files? I tell them to send a press quality pdf. Done. If they can't do that then they aren't much of a "designer". Most of the time I get screenshots, sketches and what have you and have to put it together anyway.

WildWestDesigns

I'm curious how this CC deal will go and what impact it will have on freeware. I bet I could get along just fine with the features found in GIMP.

GIMP is pretty darn close to being a replacement. It certainly is a full replacement for me.

Inkscape is probably were most of the concern would be for development. Particularly (for me) how it handles layers and raster images as templates. Typically I do sketches first (when I do my own designs) and then I vectorize and make corrections. Wilcom does this the best, then Ai, then Corel and Inkscape isn't even on my radar.

Hicalibersigns

At this point in Corels development, I'm running X6, I don't see a need for anything else they could offer.

This is hilarious! I still have the first hard drive I bought back in 1983. It is a full height drive. At the time most stuff was written in very tight code because storage was expensive. The drive was a 10 meg. drive. I remember telling my wife that I couldn't imagine ever needing more than that. HaHaHaHa! I now carry a terabyte drive around in my laptop case that is just a little larger than a pack of cigarettes. The fact that a piece of software does what you need today is absolutely no indication that it will do what you might need tomorrow. BTW, read your EULAs. You don't own any software. You own a license to use it.

WildWestDesigns

This is hilarious! I still have the first hard drive I bought back in 1983. It is a full height drive. At the time most stuff was written in very tight code because storage was expensive. The drive was a 10 meg. drive. I remember telling my wife that I couldn't imagine ever needing more than that. HaHaHaHa! I now carry a terabyte drive around in my laptop case that is just a little larger than a pack of cigarettes. The fact that a piece of software does what you need today is absolutely no indication that it will do what you might need tomorrow. BTW, read your EULAs. You don't own any software. You own a license to use it.

Technically, he did say "at this point". To me, that leaves room to change his mind.