• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

If you could start over what would you buy and why

Attachments

• Hot-girl-and-big-money.jpg
    Hot-girl-and-big-money.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 69

CheapVehicleWrap

Hey get it right mister! It's a 64...
As long as im breathing I will always have money and women problems!
:frustrated:

ohh yeah forgot. Thought yours was smaller than mine. You did get the rake attachment though right? It's how you spend it. Ditch the Bentley and stop spending like you do! This is Jersey, you're supposed to keep up with the Jones...not be them! 64" should clear 220-250k easy.

ohh yeah forgot. Thought yours was smaller than mine. You did get the rake attachment though right? It's how you spend it. Ditch the Bentley and stop spending like you do! This is Jersey, you're supposed to keep up with the Jones...not be them! 64" should clear 220-250k easy.

Now your starting to sound like my wife:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pat Whatley

If things hit rock bottom and I was starting over from scratch I'd spend $1000 on nice shirts, brochures, and business cards and get completely out of the manufacturing end of the business. There are enough subcontractors selling so cheaply I'm pretty sure I could make more money, with less stress, just selling and designing and letting somebody else to the actual manual labor.

Pat Whatley

Do you think a home sign business with a 54 inch sign printer can make a profet of 80 to 100K A YEAR easy?

There aren't a whole lot of sign people busting their ass all year who make that kind of money. From what I've seen 50K+ is getting into the high end of the earning curve.

jiarby

There aren't a whole lot of sign people busting their ass all year who make that kind of money. From what I've seen 50K+ is getting into the high end of the earning curve.

Yep... it is a hard way to earn an easy living.

Jillbeans

I'm 100% with Pat.
Learn to design basic layout (Mike Stevens Mastering Layout is $30)
Buy a design program you can work with.
Sub everything out.
Why learn how to do the dirty work if you don't have to?
Why spend thousands on something that will be obsolete in 5 years?
If I had it to do all over again I would have gotten a real job.
Benefits, weekly paycheck, retirement fund.
:)
Love....Jill

FatCat

This ? is for all you guys or girls that have been in the sign business for some time now.

With everything you know if you had to start over from scratch what would you buy into and why.

Would you buy a sign printer, sand blaster, lazor cutter, smaller sticker printer, Get into led signs, or what?.
Or would get into another business now days.

What makes the most money for the least investment if you had to buy into one system?

In your opinion what will still be around the longest and not pushed out by new things coming out.

Thanks

FWIW - Previously I worked in the offset printing industry for 14 years. Did my share of design/prepress/page layout, operating digital printing equipment and dealing directly with customers and their projects. Decided to go into making signs on my own after losing my job. That was 2008...

Fast forward to now, owning my own business has been very challenging and while I am adept at the computer/design/business end of things I've learned a lot from here and comrades in the industry both locally and abroad. Without them I probably wouldn't be here at all.

So before you jump in with both feet here is my .02¢;

1. Make a thorough business plan and be brutally honest with yourself. Can you survive for 6-12 months taking no money out of the company? (Because that will likely be your reality.) If after that first year you're not making what you thought you would/could do you have a "plan B" or possibly an exit strategy?

2. Shop the local competition.
See what they are charging for the things you want to do. (Banners, yard signs, vehicle graphics, etc.) Analyze that pricing and see if it works with your business plan. Are there local shops selling banners for $3-$4 a sq ft, and yard signs for $2/ea? If so, you might want to rethink this whole thing.

3. See how much competition you have within a 10 mile, 20 mile & 30 mile radius. You may find there is a sign shop on every corner, or you may not. You may also need to shop local print shops, photographers, screen printing/apparel shops and others. Seems there are more and more folks delving into this industry...

4. Consider subbing out your work for a while as you build your business. This should give you a good basis as to whether you should/could afford to own this type of equipment.

5. Lastly, I feel you are looking for some kind of "silver bullet" in regards to starting a new business. There isn't one. From what I've seen, most "mom and pops" operate within 3 thirds in regards to their earnings. 1/3 goes to the overhead (rent, utilities, lease payments, etc.) the next 1/3 goes to materials to make their products and the last 1/3 is the owner's end which includes your taxes, retirement and any benefits or personal insurance. So if you need to bring home a salary of $80-$100k you'll need to make in excess of $250k per year. No small feat for any new business, and IMHO very unrealistic.

I'm not sure what makes the sign business seem so attractive (or lucrative) to many that are not in it. It is just like every other business out there - it takes hard work, dedication and good planning from the owner(s) and a little bit of luck to make it fly. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

Custom_Grafx

Get a medium or large format digital camera (if you don't already have one) and supply professional grade large format (40megapixel) photos to large and grand format printers. A full service - you go to site, take the photo, tweak it etc, and also do the design maybe? If there was a local guy who I could easily work with here it would be handy to have. There are a bunch of us with printers that can print real big - but not many ways to get a 40 megapixel pro photo done without spending a fortune.

You might also find a decent job working for a large sign/graphics company who requires someone who can do their pro photography in house, as well as good knowledge of PS and AI - you could be quite valuable in the right hands I imagine. Don't undersell/estimate yourself - you have a good skill set there.

If you are really hands on though, and feel that you have to get into the production side of things, maybe get yourself a 30" printer and a big squeegee, and either a sandblasting/etching system and/or a laser etcher and start that way. As with a lot of business, there aren't 100% guaranteed combinations to high ROI - it's different for everyone I think.

ova

I agree with most that has been written, but not sure I saw anyone mention a contractor's license. If you're planning on installing any sign whether it's lit or not, I'm sure you'll need a contractor's license and the lit ones are another ball game.

This is my downfall. I don't have one and I feel it's kind of late in my career to pursue this. If I get a job needing an install, I contract it out to a construction company. I really don't like to out source anything, but this is a must. Most times I go with him on the installs.

Next would be some kind of garage to do vehicles. If you are going to offer vehicle graphics, this would be a plus.

Just my .02 cents

Dave

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
When I start over again (moving a few times leaves me working for others after a massive relocation) I will get a rather large solvent printer and go after the corporate art market for interior signage. While I want a cnc router, don't think that is in the first 4 year plan. I still have my equipment from my old shop, and I wouldn't do that over for the world. maybe add to what I have to increase productivity. Other than that ... I know I won't go for the small jobs anymore. Anything done will have to be a $100 minimum.

Oh, and I won't be having lots of employees again. Almost invariably with the squabbling, chatting and overall poor time management from past employees I would much rather have one salesman (who is an out of the office salesman) and one shop helper max.

John Butto

Google stock

They say if you had a chance to life your life again you would do the exact same thing, did not any of you watch the movie Mr. Destiny.

EddieHollywood

if we could not make 100k or more then it would not be worth it i do make more then that all ready just from photography.
But photography is starting to dye a slow death with everyone now having a digital camera and everyone and their brother thinks they are a wedding photographer now days and is undercutting real photographers making us all make less money now days.
Every year is getting worse.

That is why i am looking into other things to start getting into or to do both.

BROWNDOG

But photography is starting to dye a slow death with everyone now having a digital camera and everyone and their brother thinks they are a wedding photographer now days and is undercutting real photographers making us all make less money now days.
Every year is getting worse.

i think you hit in on the head, with everyone now having a digital printer and everyone and their nephew thinks they are a designer now days and is undercutting real sign shops making us all make less money now days.

find something your good at, like it, and stick to it. as long as you do it well, you'll soon not even notice all the lowballers. and the money will come with time, (and sweat)