• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

If you had the choice Summa or Inkjet?

moto1

Ok, finally have the cash together to buy a machine. Originally I was set on buying a Summa DC4sx due ot the quality of the colours. My business is 90% small offroad vehicle graphics (buggies/bikes etc). Question is has anyone out there in our highly competitive world of printing purchased a Summa and regreted it for any reason?

Im due to make a decision in the next 48hrs but have not had the option to actually use a Summa or see one working apart from youtube.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You should not base a business decision of this caliber on what you hear or read on a forum.

You need to go see both machines working using some of your files and see both work to get a handle on quality, ease, speed and price comparisons. All anyone can do here is give their preferences which might not have a thing to do with you or your business. Use this lace as a scale, but not for a final say. Get the pros and cons of both machines, but ultimately, the final decision is yours..... and yours alone.

Bill Modzel

If 90%% of your graphics are 11.7" or less, I'd go with an Edge instead. A wide variety of substrates and excellent cutting make it a decent choice.

CS-SignSupply-TT

On the Summa, you need to confirm the vinyl you can print on. Originally, it was limited to high performance, 2mil cast vinyl. Also, what design software and rip/print software will you be using? Finally, if your CORE business is "...small offroad vehicle graphics (buggies/bikes etc)...", do you intend to move beyond this niche? If YES, then it is very difficult to print a banner on the Summa.

Jim Doggett

moto1 said:
Ok, finally have the cash together to buy a machine. Originally I was set on buying a Summa DC4sx due ot the quality of the colours. My business is 90% small offroad vehicle graphics (buggies/bikes etc). Question is has anyone out there in our highly competitive world of printing purchased a Summa and regreted it for any reason?

Im due to make a decision in the next 48hrs but have not had the option to actually use a Summa or see one working apart from youtube.

I was with Summa for 13 years, in the end as its VP. Back in the day (circa 10 years ago) it was a great machine. But inkjet has out-paced it to such a great degree that it's ridiculous. Inkjet prints on about 50 times as many medias compared to a Summa DC; inkjet image quality smokes the DC; output cost on inkjet is a tiny fraction of the cost of DC ribbons.

So the first reply was spot-on: 100% inkjet!

Custom_Grafx

Gino's advice is spot on. Do your homework.

My personal advice, if you do little decals and stuff for vehicles... I'm guessing the summa appeals more because of its spot colours and metallics...

You know... with the right knowledge on colour profiles, and a metallic inkjet machine, I think you would have a much better arsenal.

Check out the VS series from Roland. With a white/metallic setup, it's slower, but a great machine and you'll be able to do white/metallic + cmyk on clear and white vinyls etc.

Also... I don't know but does thermal ribbon stretch if you need to ever wrap a section of a vehicle?

garisimo

We've been using a DC4sx for about two years and have been pleased with the printer (paid for itself in about three months). Our printer is used primarily for decals, large labels, and reverse printed signs. Here are the pros of the Summa:

- Spot colors: Great for hitting deep blues, hot green, metallics, and more.
- Color consistency: the print you make today is the same as the one yesterday, a week ago, last year.
- Durability: much more robust than inkjet prints; less scratch prone
- No ink to clog a nozzle: You can shut the printer off for months, turn it back on, and print without missing a point.
- Great free tech support, lifetime for the machine

And here are the cons:
- Consumable cost: Summa's ribbons are chipped, so you must use them for supplies (but you do get 'free' lifetime tech support)
- Lower resolution: inkjets can produce much better gradients and color transitions; there are a number of ways to mitigate, but I doubt a thermal printer could ever compete with an inkjet here.

I'm sure there are other pro/cons, but hopefully this will be a small help.

Cheers!

-g-

MikeD

the summa is a print and cut device, so you may save on floor space, but if its printing, then the cutter can't be used to cut a different job.

the metallic colors are more durable with thermal resin than the solvent ink jets I have worked with (Mimaki and Roland) the ink jet metallics rub off with your finger if they aren't laminated.

Thermal resin White ink achieves greater opacity than solvent in only 1 pass.

Thermal resin doesn't have to dry before finishing.

If I had to choose between Gerber and Summa, I think the Summa is more efficient since 8 different foils can be loaded and the print occurs unattended and then gets cut automatically.

moto1

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I think since 99.% of print companies in my area have an inkjet machine I feel there is a huge opportunity here for something that can run rings around them when it comes to high impact colours, special effects and durability. One reason I finaly chose the Summa is due to the larger print width compared to the gerber. I wont recieve the machine for another 4 weeks so cannot comment on much more as yet. I ordered the rip/HDD option so am not sure on the software side of things as yet. Im going for user training later in Jan so hopefully things will be much clearer then ;)

moto1

Inkjet 100% if you plan on viewing anything you print from closer than 10 ft.

From what I have seen i dont think this is true with small lines or text under 10 point. The samples I have received appear to be way sharper than anything an inkjet can put out especially when required outside of standard CMYK. I will be getting an inkjet later for run of the mill printing but currently its just easier for me to outsource it when needed.