Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ignore overprint?

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by gabagoo, Sep 15, 2010.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    In Flexi rip there is this box "Ignore overprint" that is always checked off. I have no idea what it means. What happens if I uncheck it?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
    Tags:
  2. SebastienL

SebastienL Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I imagine that you will get screwed up colors if you print a file that as overprint settings in it.

3. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    so you mean that the layers would print together with nothing over anything else? I guess I should try and see what happens

4. SebastienL

SebastienL Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    If you ignore overprint, then you should be ok.
    If a file as overprint setting in them, which is usually for press printing, and you don't ignore them, you will get screwed up colors.

Let's say that you are printing black text over a picture. In press printing with no overprint, the rip will put white "holes" in the picture for the black to go in. With overprint, the black will go over the colors, the rip won't leave white for the black.

Does this make sense?

5. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    probably wouldnt notice much with black over anything, but if the text was like orange then it would show up for sure

6. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Sort of how the Edge works....yuk

7. CS-SignSupply

CS-SignSupply Very Active Member

Check to ignore any overprinting that was set up in the design stage. This can be useful if you want to save the time and output media needed to do overprinting.

If you check Ignore Overprint, your output will automatically be changed so that it will not use features that depend on overprinting. For example, output that had been set up to use color trapping will now output untrapped.