• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ignoring sign guidelines becomes capital offense

Graphics2u

Probably Someones Cousin In The The Federal Highway Administration Makes Street Signs For A Living.

Wow, That Is Easier To Read! :thumb:

Pat Whatley

Funny thing about what they show as an example....if you've got letters with descenders they are going to run off the bottom of the sign.

Graphics2u

Funny thing about what they show as an example....if you've got letters with descenders they are going to run off the bottom of the sign.
Well, obviously there will no longer be street names with g's, p's or y's in them. Unless of course they are the first letter of a word in the name.

dsmskyline

They have changed out quite a few signs here in Phoenix in the freeways with the new signs.

Seems the font has changed as well.

Farmboy

Seems like going to cap lower case instead of all lower case would have been the way to going. Hind sight and all.

Mosh

The best part is they already bought the sign before getting permission to install it....That is how I roll around here, get the permit AFTER the sign is up!

Craig Sjoquist

Wonders what does the fed. have to do with state, county or local roads and why they are regulating something as low priority, wonders how much it cost us to figure out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Wonders what does the fed. have to do with state, county or local roads and why they are regulating something as low priority, wonders how much it cost us to figure out.

If the FED pays for the sign or is on a FED maintained highway, they have a say as to how it is designed and the guidelines are free to get and read. Signs paid for by the FED or on roads maintained by them need prior review before the sign goes up.

To most municipalities, this is bonehead regulatory sign knowledge, they really should know this. There are some portions of the code that are very wordy and hard to get, but this is a sign that they should have know was required to be upper/lower case.

This regulation was done way before the mentioned person you are blaming this for. The regulation is in place to make sure the money that is spent is done with some level of standard that works from one end of the country to the other, they are allowed to add some design elements... by the way usually cities are the ones who will take FED highway funds as well as state and their own and produce massive city wayfinding projects. Some look great, but local municipalities are more to blame than the maintaining of a federal standard.

Last edited by a moderator:

cajun312

Is there a time limit before all the signs must be updated? I was telling a customer about this a few months ago, he's googled but says all he finds on the government web sites is jibberish.......

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Is there a time limit before all the signs must be updated? Yes and no.. for some signs there is a date, for others... like street name signs, you comply when it's time to replace the sign due to expired service life, damage, vandalism... whatever the case. Other signs have specific compliance dates. I was telling a customer about this a few months ago, he's googled but says all he finds on the government web sites is jibberish.......

This will lead you to a .pdf for the 2009 MUTCD compliancy dates.

http://wwwcf.fhwa.dot.gov/exit.cfm?...egs/contentStreamer?objectId=0900006480ba909d[amp]disposition=attachment[amp]contentType=pdf

Desert_Signs

They have changed out quite a few signs here in Phoenix in the freeways with the new signs.

Seems the font has changed as well.

I'll have to take some pics of the street signs they replaced in my neighborhood. It's almost comical. If there is a lower case g, y, p, etc; they actually moved the letter up, so the "tail" is even with the bottom of the other letters. Looks rather dumb.