• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

IJ175 vs. IJ180

We produce a lot of outdoor signs and some print and cut vehicle decals, but not wraps. We want to move away from Orajet 3951RA and move into 3M IJ175 or IJ180. This material will be used for mostly (70-80% of the time) long-term outdoor signage, such as aluminum panels. The IJ175 comes in unexpectedly much more affordable than Orajet 3951RA and IJ180 series films. Would this material be ideal for outdoor sign panels and the occasional print and cut vehicle decals? Does anyone have a good amount of experience using IJ175 and is it prone to any issues or are we on the right track if we go with this instead of IJ180? The price just has me a little worried, so I'm hoping to get some feedback from others before making the purchase. Thanks!

jfiscus

Rap Master
Our primary vinyl here is IJ180c/cv3, but for flat vertical surfaces like signs, IJ35C-10 is a lot more affordable and still has air release for easy installations. I've heard bad things about removing IJ175 so we stay away from it.

Our primary vinyl here is IJ180c/cv3, but for flat vertical surfaces like signs, IJ35C-10 is a lot more affordable and still has air release for easy installations. I've heard bad things about removing IJ175 so we stay away from it.
Yeah, the 3M product bulletin does state that IJ175's removability characteristics aren't all that. I'm really going to have to think this over. We can get IJ180 in 25 yard rolls, if and when Fellers has it back in stock, so it may come down to carrying both options and using IJ175 strictly for signage and the IJ180 for vehicles.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
You could also go with a polymeric calendared film and save a few hundred dollars a roll. If you aren't conforming to a shape, you don't need the physical properties of 180. Are you really removing the graphics off of boards after years of use and then using the boards again after they've been out in the elements? If not, then you could be using $279 rolls for 54"x150' which would get you a 7 year film with grey adhesive on an air-egress liner. I'd happily send you a test roll if you want to play around with it.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I know it's not what you're asking, but we use General Formulations GF 201HTAP for all our exterior signs. It has worked extremely well for us and it's our go to for a lot of applications.

Probably about a third of the cost of 3M IJ180cv3 (which is what we use for all vehicle graphics).

ikarasu

180 on alupanel is crazy, Use IJ40C for alupanel...you'll save a ton of money, It's a 7 year vinyl. 180 is a 10 year "unprinted", We've had some Ij40's out for a decade and its held up just fine. We only go 180 for Aluminum...and even then it kind of depends on if its a sign we know will need to last for a decade.

180 on alupanel is crazy, Use IJ40C for alupanel...you'll save a ton of money, It's a 7 year vinyl. 180 is a 10 year "unprinted", We've had some Ij40's out for a decade and its held up just fine. We only go 180 for Aluminum...and even then it kind of depends on if its a sign we know will need to last for a decade.

Who said anything about Alupanel?