• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

IJ180 CV3 - Issues & Comparable Vinyls

signsolutions

We've been having trouble with 3M IJ180 CV3 Controltac with it not staying down. We've gone a few rounds with distributors and 3M, using 3M profiles (as opposed to the Roland profiles on our Roland SolJet Pro 4 XR-640 using only Roland inks,) and we're still having issues. Surface prep is that same that's it's always been (Alcohol/water solution mixed at about 50%.)

So then, what other cast printable vinyls and matching overlaminates are people having success with?

Last edited:

MikePro

not staying down? what surface are you applying to?
Arlon DPF6000XRP is my substitute, but if 180 isn't sticking to it then neither with any similiar media.

signsolutions

not staying down? what surface are you applying to?
Arlon DPF6000XRP is my substitute, but if 180 isn't sticking to it then neither with any similiar media.

In many cases it's powder coated aluminum. There's typically a few days between powder coating and vinyl application.

C5 Service&Repair

powder coated aluminum isnt a low surface energy plastic. Basically thats what race car bodies are made out of and IJ180 sticks like gangbusters to it. Is it a smooth coating or a rough type?
I would guess your powder coat isnt cured fully and the out gassing is giving you fits.

powder coated aluminum isnt a low surface energy plastic. Basically thats what race car bodies are made out of and IJ180 sticks like gangbusters to it. Is it a smooth coating or a rough type?
I would guess your powder coat isnt cured fully and the out gassing is giving you fits.

Although very different in composition, in the context of bonding, powder coating layers are considered as plastics.

The adhesion on powder coated surfaces shows very different results because powder coatings contains fluoropolymer additives as surface-tension modifier polytetrafluoroethylene (PFTE, also known as Teflon), polyethylene (PE) waxes which significantly alter the surface characteristics and flow- control additives, which function are to reduce the surface tension of the powder particles as they melt. These additives are an important ingredient in the formulation of powder coatings.

Christian @ 2CT Media

For power coated surfaces smooth or textured we default to Avery 1106HTEZ. If you want to try a 3M product 180LSE or if it's all flat IJ39 is really good.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I have issues once in a while with cast vinyl sticking to powder coated aluminum. It's hit or miss. Haven't ever laid 180 V3 on any though, we always are laying cut white or black on powder coated. I would suspect anything that's removable/repositionable will be harder to keep down. But I bet being outside for a few days will cure that.

unclebun

It depends on what they use to do the powder coating. Powder coat is a plastic powder that is melted into a coating. Depending on what plastic and what additives they use, it can be LSE, just like latex house paint that has additives to make crayon and grease stains wipe off easily.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Since you're applying to powder coated parts I'm assuming these are print/cut decals, and not something where the customer actually needs the flexibility/air release of 180c?
I would recommend using Arlon DPF8000 for this if so. We do a lot of equipment graphics and use DPF8000 and 3M 8518 Gloss laminate.