• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ij180 vs 40c

CC-CMYK

What’s the differences between IJ180 and 40c. I’m wondering if 180 is more sticky then 40c? 40c seem to be more tacky at first then 180. Does 180 stick better over time?

I was just installing on a window. It was 50 degrees out and it didn’t seem to stick the best.

Zac

Mediocre Designer
IJ180 is a cast wrap film. IJ40C is calendared.

Even though it’s usually for vehicles, I would use IJ180 for wall wraps if I knew it was going to be heavily textured or rough/matte finish and needed some extra bite/stretch.

IJ40C for anything flat and glossy. Mainly short term box truck or wall wraps.

Cast (IJ180) is more expensive but more pliable and lasts longer, the calendared (IJ40C) should be cheaper overall, but probably isn’t by much nowadays.

IJ40 on glass would be fine. Be aware some customers hate the look of gray adhesive on the back of most wrap vinyls when placed on glass.

For cut vinyl on glass, I recommend to use a dedicated cast material such as Oracal 751. You won’t have those issues with colder installs with a proper cast vinyl.

CC-CMYK

IJ180 is a cast wrap film. IJ40C is calendared.

Even though it’s usually for vehicles, I would use IJ180 for wall wraps if I knew it was going to be heavily textured or rough/matte finish and needed some extra bite/stretch.

IJ40C for anything flat and glossy. Mainly short term box truck or wall wraps.

Cast (IJ180) is more expensive but more pliable and lasts longer, the calendared (IJ40C) should be cheaper overall, but probably isn’t by much nowadays.

IJ40 on glass would be fine. Be aware some customers hate the look of gray adhesive on the back of most wrap vinyls when placed on glass.

For cut vinyl on glass, I recommend to use a dedicated cast material such as Oracal 751. You won’t have those issues with colder installs with a proper cast vinyl.
Thanks. I’m applying ij180 clear to etched windows. It has a subtle texture. Almost a paper feel to it. Maybe more like a high grit sand paper 400 or above. I’ve used 40c and have mixed results. Did a 9 month wrap and it worked out fine some pealing edges and another time I did cut vinyl 40c letters and it was terrible. So do you think ij180 is the way to go??

Zac

Mediocre Designer
The IJ180 clear is overkill for window applications. Use a cast material, but you don’t need a wrap material, there are no curves in glass.

If you had peeled edges on a wrap after 9 months it did not ‘work out fine’. You should use IJ180 for anything with curves.

I suggest adding a non-wrap printable cast film with clear adhesive to your inventory. You’re leaving a lot of profit on the table in your material choices. There should be no reason to use IJ180 on glass as standard practice.

The easiest solution since you don’t seem like much of a reader, is to talk to your supplier rep and ask them these same questions. They will be more helpful and educate you more than other owners here, who will roast you for not understanding the most basic production materials for your business, like you should.

CC-CMYK

The IJ180 clear is overkill for window applications. Use a cast material, but you don’t need a wrap material, there are no curves in glass.

If you had peeled edges on a wrap after 9 months it did not ‘work out fine’. You should use IJ180 for anything with curves.

I suggest adding a non-wrap printable cast film with clear adhesive to your inventory. You’re leaving a lot of profit on the table in your material choices. There should be no reason to use IJ180 on glass as standard practice.

The easiest solution since you don’t seem like much of a reader, is to talk to your supplier rep and ask them these same questions. They will be more helpful and educate you more than other owners here, who will roast you for not understanding the most basic production materials for your business, like you should.
Ij180 is exactly what my 3m rep recommended to me. You don’t have to insult me. I understand the differences in cast and calendar we film. I’ve never worked with 180 before and my rep said it was the better bet on theses windows facing east where 40c has failed me.

Zac

Mediocre Designer
You say you understand the differences, yet your question is asking the differences.

So forgive me for being confused, but what exactly are you asking, if you’re not asking if cast is better than calendared?

Unless there’s not much else in stock, there are much better materials for window applications that your rep should be offering. Sounds like they wanted to offer you the most expensive options.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Putting IJ 180 on a window is like putting premium gas in a Pinto. There are a lot of much less expensive films that can go on a window which will look and feel the same in the end....and there are also plenty of film which can be applied in temperatures down to zero degrees Fahrenheit. Sticking to a flat smooth surface is usually quite easy and you could be using films that are no more than $250/roll instead of the $500 3M stuff.