• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

IJ180CV3 for wall mural?

sghobbies

I have plenty of 180 in stock. I have a customer that wants one wall in their showroom covered. I was thinking 180CV3 and 8519 matte lam? I know several on here have used printable wallpaper. Is there any reason the 180 will not work?

HulkSmash

I have plenty of 180 in stock. I have a customer that wants one wall in their showroom covered. I was thinking 180CV3 and 8519 matte lam? I know several on here have used printable wallpaper. Is there any reason the 180 will not work?

it'll work fine. it's just overkill, but will be fine.

sar bossier

The 180 actually works better than most wall vinyls, imo. Especially when they want a durable, semi-permanent/permanent wall graphic. School of hard knocks taught me WELL on this issue!

MikePro

on a painted wall? good to go!
scour the surface of the wall, beforehand, for any imperfections in the paint:
i'll usually lop off excess paint blobs/etc. with a scraper tool and lightly sand other spots that i know will "stick out" when applied-over with vinyl.

finish with a heat gun and a felt squeegee and ur set!

sghobbies

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll stick with the 180 for sure. I'm planning on using 8519 lam, but might use the 8915 ultra matte.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Both - and yes I've learned my lesson this a couple times as well. Tired a couple of "wall" vinyls in the past only to have them literally falling off the wall within days. Maybe the "wall" vinyls are for glass walls? Sure they remove easy - because they barely adhere...

If we do one that the customer wants it to last for more than a few months we use 180CV3 with matte lam too. Few places where they want gloss though and we will do that as well.

Definitley follow Mikes advice as well - ANY defects on the wall will show up under the vinyl...

The 180 actually works better than most wall vinyls, imo. Especially when they want a durable, semi-permanent/permanent wall graphic. School of hard knocks taught me WELL on this issue!

I strongly encourage the MATTE lam. The wall is much more visible in the glare of the light with the MATTE.

sar bossier

I just realized that I put 8519 (luster) instead of 8520. My intentions all along were to use the matte lam, but maybe try the ultra matte lam. I appreciate all of the input. Thanks guys!

Do yourself a favor, and print small samples, and laminate both ways. I have found, depending on graphics, that TOO matte can sometimes "wash out" the print too much. I usually lam with standard matte, and it gives a classy, polished look, while eliminating the glare. My $.02 :wink:

sghobbies

The 180Cv3 with the 8520 went on really smooth. Looks like wallpaper. Overall, I was really pleased with the way it turned out. Here's the finished product. Don't knock the chairs...they were not there when I installed it, neither was the deck.

Attachments

• BrianStoneWallWrap2.jpg
    BrianStoneWallWrap2.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 177
  • BrianStoneWallWrap1.jpg
    BrianStoneWallWrap1.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 145

sghobbies

I just treated it like any other wrap really. I found the center point in the wall and started with that panel. I hinged the vinyl, but really close to the top. About 12" or so.

MikePro

Since you're in Georgia (and possibly so is this mural), you should have recommended that they replaced the big blue "Florida State" chair, with a children's-sized one to "make the mural "more visible".

sghobbies

Since you're in Georgia (and possibly so is this mural), you should have recommended that they replaced the big blue "Florida State" chair, with a children's-sized one to "make the mural "more visible".

If it were my call, there would be no chairs at all.....OR....make the deck look more rustic and use some "old" or rustic chairs.

MikePro

hah yeah, i'm just goofin' on a friday... i'm sure you guys have plenty of Florida St. fans in the area. SE wisco here is flooded with cubs/bears fans, so its always fun to poke fun of em'... especially since Badgers/Packers/Brewers are DOMINATING right now!

sghobbies

I'm not really sure what his motives were for building the deck. Unless he just wanted to show that product. This is his showroom for his residential side of his construction business. I still think it would look better without it.