Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IJ35C-10 Faulty rolls of vinyl

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by CaliforniaVibe, Feb 14, 2018.

1. CaliforniaVibe

CaliforniaVibe Production and Digital Print Operator

Jan 12, 2017
    California
    Had a roll of IJ35C-10 (3M materials) last week that had issues with lines showing up on the sides of prints. Came out towards the end of the roll so I didn't have the box anymore with the Lot number.

This is a new roll of IJ35C-10 and now I'm having the same issues. Hard lines showing up in the media where its printing.
    20180214_143706.jpg
    Only shows up every so often, maybe every 10ft on the far right.
    The latest showed up on the left side in multiple locations.
    20180214_151937.jpg

Anyone with the lot number: G17300 notice the same issues?

Only asking because this is the second roll (in a row) that its been happening. I've ran many different vinyls in between running the IJ35c-10, on my HP360 latex; none with this same issue.

2. CaliforniaVibe

Jan 12, 2017
    California
    Just opened another box of IJ35C-10...Still having the same issues.
    This is the 3rd box, the second that is for sure from the same lot number (G17300) as the other faulty roll.

20180215_102901.jpg 20180215_102850.jpg 20180215_101724.jpg

Ran the same job on the Controltac 40C-10R, came out fine.
    If anyone else has that same G17300 lot number please let me know if you're experiencing the same thing, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  3. ikarasu

ikarasu Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Just checked mine, but it's a different lot number so I can't help, sorry!

Have you called your 3M Rep? We had an issue with a roll doing something similar halfway through... They credited us for a full roll.

4. KMC

KMC Graphic Artist

Feb 12, 2018
    Alberta
    silly question but have you checked under the print head in case there is something under there thats causing this ?

• Like Like x 2
  5. CaliforniaVibe

Jan 12, 2017
    California
    Yeah, I cleaned the rollers, the carriage rails, printheads, did a printhead diagnostic, color calibration, and the area under the heating unit. You can see the line appear the moment ink is being layed down.

Infact, I was using some of the first roll for some white overlam decals (since it didn't require printing), which is laminated with thick polycarb laminate...Sure enough, a clean line of air bubbles form where the line would be if I printed on it.

6. KMC

KMC Graphic Artist

Feb 12, 2018
    Alberta
    weird ive had printing issues (from faulty product) but not like that i would be chatting with your supplier and getting a replacement roll and see what they can do about time and other product wasted in the process of trying to figure out this issue

7. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Central Coast California
    You would think that if it was a fine scratch in the material created by some debris falling in the material and being caught in the rollers as its being extruded that your ink would just fill it in as you print. If its in a whole batch, others had to have encountered the problem by now.

8. CaliforniaVibe

Jan 12, 2017
    California
    I knew that eventually I would have to replace these with the suppliers, just wanted to check with the community if anyone else had the same problem with that lot number, also wanted to serve as a heads up with anyone else who winds up with this batch.

Thanks for the responses!

9. Active Sign

Active Sign The Boss

Jul 8, 2013
    California
    Send it back

10. tooler82

tooler82 Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Camp Shelby, MS, USA
    I’ve used IJ35C-10 for 5 years and never had that happen