• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

IJ35C-10 Faulty rolls of vinyl

CaliforniaVibe

Production and Digital Print Operator
Had a roll of IJ35C-10 (3M materials) last week that had issues with lines showing up on the sides of prints. Came out towards the end of the roll so I didn't have the box anymore with the Lot number.

This is a new roll of IJ35C-10 and now I'm having the same issues. Hard lines showing up in the media where its printing.
20180214_143706.jpg
Only shows up every so often, maybe every 10ft on the far right.
The latest showed up on the left side in multiple locations.
20180214_151937.jpg

Anyone with the lot number: G17300 notice the same issues?

Only asking because this is the second roll (in a row) that its been happening. I've ran many different vinyls in between running the IJ35c-10, on my HP360 latex; none with this same issue.

CaliforniaVibe

Just opened another box of IJ35C-10...Still having the same issues.
This is the 3rd box, the second that is for sure from the same lot number (G17300) as the other faulty roll.

20180215_102901.jpg 20180215_102850.jpg 20180215_101724.jpg

Ran the same job on the Controltac 40C-10R, came out fine.
If anyone else has that same G17300 lot number please let me know if you're experiencing the same thing, thanks!

ikarasu

Just checked mine, but it's a different lot number so I can't help, sorry!

Have you called your 3M Rep? We had an issue with a roll doing something similar halfway through... They credited us for a full roll.

CaliforniaVibe

Yeah, I cleaned the rollers, the carriage rails, printheads, did a printhead diagnostic, color calibration, and the area under the heating unit. You can see the line appear the moment ink is being layed down.

Infact, I was using some of the first roll for some white overlam decals (since it didn't require printing), which is laminated with thick polycarb laminate...Sure enough, a clean line of air bubbles form where the line would be if I printed on it.

KMC

Graphic Artist
Yeah, I cleaned the rollers, the carriage rails, printheads, did a printhead diagnostic, color calibration, and the area under the heating unit. You can see the line appear the moment ink is being layed down.

Infact, I was using some of the first roll for some white overlam decals (since it didn't require printing), which is laminated with thick polycarb laminate...Sure enough, a clean line of air bubbles form where the line would be if I printed on it.

weird ive had printing issues (from faulty product) but not like that i would be chatting with your supplier and getting a replacement roll and see what they can do about time and other product wasted in the process of trying to figure out this issue

TimToad

You would think that if it was a fine scratch in the material created by some debris falling in the material and being caught in the rollers as its being extruded that your ink would just fill it in as you print. If its in a whole batch, others had to have encountered the problem by now.

CaliforniaVibe

I knew that eventually I would have to replace these with the suppliers, just wanted to check with the community if anyone else had the same problem with that lot number, also wanted to serve as a heads up with anyone else who winds up with this batch.

Thanks for the responses!