• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

IJC257 changeover

smholm22

Greetings everyone,

We decided to make the changeover from IJC256 to IJC257. The Application Bulletin here seems to indicate that we don't need to perform the "short flush," which is a process managed by the printer. Instead, my understanding is that it just needs to have a "manual purge"--which is to perform 14 long purges under the maintenance drawer.

So, when I insert the new ink bags, the computer interface displays a prompt stating that "The ink flush procedure is required before a different type of ink can be used." After I replace all four ink bags with the new ink, and perform two long purges, the prompt is still present and I can not get the ink reservoirs to fill.

Does anyone have experience with this? It seems like I should be able to cancel the short flush prompt, but it persists and the persistence of that prompt prevents me from doing the manual purge, unless I'm missing something.

I've been on the phone with Canon techs back and forth and have been making no progress yet. Hoping this community can! Thanks in advance.

AlsEU

I would relay on the version given by firmware, not by bulletin - sometimes newer versions of the firmware have changes, which are a result of issues/problems reported by customers. So if the firmware says 'long flush' and you can't cancel the conversion wizard or the firmware doesn't recognize the new set of inks it's possible that you will have to do the long flush.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We did this about 2 years ago with the short flush method. I think it took around 20 mins per colour. Our tech advised to just do one colour at a time which worked fine for us.
Not sure if you can turn back and do this method, but I'd suggest it if possible. It doesn't waste that much more ink than the manual method and leaves you free to get on with other work in the meantime.

smholm22

The Canon tech ultimately could not explain why we weren't able to perform the manual purge and forego the short flush as the bulletin advises. He ultimately advised we use the short flush method. I successfully ran it this morning for each channel and it all went well.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Glad to hear you got it sorted out, that's good to know if we ever bite the bullet and switch from 256 to 257.

Notice any difference yet or too soon to tell?

I take it based on Signmeup's comment that you can just convert one color at a time as you run out of inks? That definitely makes me consider this move further.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
You could do that... but your profiles will be off.
We converted CMYK to 257 and re-profiled all modes immediately. The Océ 257 pre-made profiles were terrible at the time, unsure if they've been updated since.
We kept 256 white as 257 white is more "blue" and far more difficult to keep the heads clean according to several people at Canon.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
You could do that... but your profiles will be off.
We converted CMYK to 257 and re-profiled all modes immediately. The Océ 257 pre-made profiles were terrible at the time, unsure if they've been updated since.
We kept 256 white as 257 white is more "blue" and far more difficult to keep the heads clean according to several people at Canon.

Good to know, thank you! Especially about the white.