• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator 9.0 Help?

TLG

Does anyone know how to change the start up setting so that the screen always opens in RGB, (NOT CMYK mode)? Can't locate the .ini file and it isn't shown in the help file. It appears that every .eps or .ai file defaults to the CMYK mode when first opened. I know how to change it back from there, but it would be easier to just have it open in RGB.

Sorry about ramblin' on! Any help is appreciated.:thankyou:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Does it now show up in the initial new dialog box? I think after you do it once it remembers for the next time.

Attachments

• rgb.jpg
    rgb.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 187

TLG

Yes, it opens in CYMK mode every time with .eps or .ai files. For some reason the image in the initial window can't be seen so I select all, copy, close that window, open a new window (which I set to open as RGB) then paste the object.

I found that if it isn't in RGB mode when I export as a .jpg, it shows as a red box with an X and can't be viewed or opened as an email attachment.

It's only a small step to change it, but seems to me the color mode under the file column should be able to be set for view preferences.

Thanks for any help.

ps: You converted the Clemson Paw for me in June and did a great job - Thanks Again! :U Rock:

AL

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Your original post reads like you are talking about a new file. With existing files there is no way to control it. I think it will always open in whatever mode the file is saved in which is usually CMYK mode. I can tell you that when a file has mixed color modes in it, Illustrator asks when you open it.

My suggestion to you is to just make an Action to change the color mode and assign it a function key as a hot key.

thewood

The Lettering Guy said:
Does anyone know how to change the start up setting so that the screen always opens in RGB, (NOT CMYK mode)? Can't locate the .ini file and it isn't shown in the help file. It appears that every .eps or .ai file defaults to the CMYK mode when first opened. I know how to change it back from there, but it would be easier to just have it open in RGB.

Sorry about ramblin' on! Any help is appreciated.:thankyou:

If you are opening an existing ai or eps, Illustrator will open it in the embedded color mode.

You can have Illustrator prompt you for color mode & icc profile when opening files (under Edit/Color Settings).

Rather than copying/pasting, you can easily change the color mode of a document (under FIle/Document Color Mode).

TLG

Hey guys,
Thanks for the responses. I'm designing in Gerber Graphix Advantage 6.0. Then exporting/converting file to either an AI or EPS. Then I'm bringing it into Illustrator 9.0 When the window first opens, it always defaults to CMYK even if the file was just one color or several. The image is virtually impossible to find on the screen (which is why I select all, copy and close that original window. When it's pasted into a new window, I have that set to open as RBG and it saves & emails fine. Have looked under all control setting and simply can't find a way that goes around the CMYK.

Am not very proficient and in fact not sure what Fred means by an 'action', unless that is just setting the program control preferences. Only using AI 9.0 to convert to JPG so my customers can have the design 'pop up' on the screen when opening emails.

Al

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
An "Action" is simply a recording of keystrokes, mouse clicks or menu commands which can also have a function key assigned to cause it to play back. You could for example record an action of your mouse clicking File > Document Color Mode > RGB Color and assign it to be played when F2 is pressed. Now open your file and press F2 and it is an RGB file.

You could also do an action such as this:

Select All
Set reference position to center
Set X position to 4.25"
Set Y position to 5.5"
Enter

This one would move your imported file from GA to the center of the page you are looking at in Illustrator with one keystroke. You could also make it part of the action described above for converting to RGB mode.

To create an action you must open the palette that controls it which is located under the Window menu.