• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator and Clipping Masks for Vehicle Wrap

TheBarricade

Hello everyone!

So I am learning about designing for vehicle wraps and recently grabbed a free sample of a car from Pro Vehicle Outlines website. All of the art is designed in Illustrator and I need to figure out how to clipping mask my own artwork "inside" their vehicle artwork for a mock-up.

A few notes:
  • Their artwork is not currently grouped in any way. It is all just laid out piece by piece
  • This is only for a mockup - I understand I will need bleed and panels for the actual print
Thank you for your help!

There's an object that is the painted surfaces of the entire vehicle (sometimes 2 objects with trucks) that you need to find, usually the very bottom layer for each side. It's easiest to put all the sides you're not working on into their own groups so you're only dealing with the objects for one side.

Just treat it like you would any other clipping mask object; have your artwork positioned where you want it on a layer behind the object > select them both > right click > Make Clipping Mask.

Attachments

• ChevP_821 [Converted].jpg
    ChevP_821 [Converted].jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 228

TheBarricade

There's an object that is the painted surfaces of the entire vehicle (sometimes 2 objects with trucks) that you need to find, usually the very bottom layer for each side. It's easiest to put all the sides you're not working on into their own groups so you're only dealing with the objects for one side.

Just treat it like you would any other clipping mask object; have your artwork positioned where you want it on a layer behind the object > select them both > right click > Make Clipping Mask.

Ah! I see the painted section now. That worked perfectly. Thanks!