• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator CC 2014 EPS files cut twice!

MikeyG

Hi there!
Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with Onyx 11 RIP, a Summa D160R and Illustrator CC 2014 EPS files cutting twice over the same cut lines?

I have just sent an EPS file from Onyx CutServer to the cutter, and every single outline is being cut twice, ben though there is only one cut line shown in CutServer! (I have highlighted individual object lines on the CutServer screen and deleted them, and there is only the one line shown - no second line hidden underneath!)

I have also checked the original EPS file, and there is definitely only one set of CutContour lines. Again, none are hidden underneath!

Just wondering if this is a known issue with Illustrator CC files?

Thanks!

Sign Eagle

Have had the problem on occations, try erasing something, we normally find 2 copies, likely a second layer, in perfect alinement.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Thick lines? I am not familiar with ONYX but your lines have a thickness. Typically when this happens and you have confirmed that there aren't two lines, it means the cut software is seeing the inside and outside of the line. You can confirm this by using a thicker line weight and the copies should separate. Look for a setting that deals with thick lines.

MikeyG

Thick lines? I am not familiar with ONYX but your lines have a thickness. Typically when this happens and you have confirmed that there aren't two lines, it means the cut software is seeing the inside and outside of the line. You can confirm this by using a thicker line weight and the copies should separate. Look for a setting that deals with thick lines.

Hi there

The cut lines are set at only .25mm thick, and there is definitely only one set of cut lines on the artwork...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
As mentioned above, I also believe it's a "thick line" issue. Regardless of your line stroke width, Onyx is "seeing" your line attributes as having both inside and outside characteristics. There should be a setting somewhere that will allow you to turn off thick line attributes.

JB

MikeyG

Ahah!
You were quite correct...!
I zoomed into the outline preview image within CutServer, and yes! There does appear to be a double thickness of line.
I tried making the CutContour line only 0.01pt thick, but still CutServer sees it as having a 'thickness', as you suggested.

I can't seem to find a way to get CutServer/Onyx to treat this line as just a single cut line, though!

It has only just started happening, with files sent as EPS from Illustrator CC 2014.

I have just tried re-saving the document as a PDF, and re-cutting, and the cutter is only cutting one line! Yay!

So I guess I'll be saving as a PDF in future then.
At least until I can find out why the Illustrator lines are seen as 'Thick'!

Dennis422

Make sure you do not have two artboards on a top of each other.
As far as the stroke thickness, it should not look at the inside/outside line. It should look at it as a one cut. (unless you expand the stroke)

shoresigns

This has nothing to do with Illustrator CC - it exists in CS6 as well. The problem is occurring because when you have transparencies in your artwork, the default option when saving as an EPS is to flatten the transparencies and a side effect of that by default is to convert strokes to outlines. Turn off the "Convert strokes to outlines" option and problem solved!

Also of note, if you have that option enabled, the strokes won't actually be outlined if you re-open the EPS file in Illustrator. This is because an EPS file encloses two copies of the artwork: one that preserves transparencies and other effects for editing in Illustrator and one that is flattened for use in other software (such as your RIP).

MikeyG

Hi there!
Thank you Shoresigns, for explaining exactly what's going on in Illustrator, and for telling me how to turn off the "Convert Strokes to Outlines" option (I'd never have found that!!).
Your solution works perfectly!

And thank you to the others who suggested filling the Cut line, rather than giving it an outline.
I sent Onyx an email asking about this issue, and the reply I've just received gives this as the solution!
This also works perfectly!

Thanks to all who replied – The 'Signs 101' Forums have been a lifesaver on many occasions!
So pleased, I'll even end on a little smiley icon...

:smile: