• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator>>>Corel draw problems

pabacker66

I am the graphic designer at my shop and I do 80% of my design work in illustrator. My boss runs a laser engraver and sublimation printer and he ONLY used corel draw. He is currently running X3. I am currently running cs5. We are constantly having problems with him not being able to open .eps files (with corel) that I have created in illy. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? I have tried back saving to all different versions even all the way back to illy10 but this doesn't seem to help. Not finding much from google searched either.

WildWestDesigns

Never had a problem with going from Ai to Draw using EPS (versions 3 and 8) or vice versa and I use both programs. Although more and more using Corel. Now, I haven't used X3, but X4, X5 and X6 I haven't had an issue.

rfulford

I am not a corel user but I know if i can not open an eps in illustrator, I can place in a new layout without issues. This is what eps is designed for.

royster13

I am not a corel user but I know if i can not open an eps in illustrator, I can place in a new layout without issues. This is what eps is designed for.

Never heard that one before....It is my understanding that an eps file was created so Corel and Adobe files would be printed on certain PostScript printers....And further eps files created in Corel and Adobe are quite different.....

Although some eps files will work in the opposite program, there will still be some effect, especially in newer versions of Illustrator that will not carry over 100%.....

WildWestDesigns

Although some eps files will work in the opposite program, there will still be some effect, especially in newer versions of Illustrator that will not carry over 100%.....

EPS 3 and 8 tend to be the most stable across 3 programs that I have tried (Ai, Draw, and Inkscape). 3 even morse so, but the biggest downside to that one is no gradient support. I doubt say EPS CS6 would translate though, not right now anyway.

Deaton Design

I do work for a local screenprinter and other sign shops and screen shops, and always provide the file in eps 8 and also pdf format. Couple of times had a problem or two, but nothing big.
Its best for them to import the file instead of trying to open it in Corel. Also, sometimes saving it as an svg out of illy will do it.

round man

many people try to import eps files into coreldraw with the eps filter which imports a bitmap surrounded by a rectangular bounding box vector,...if you want to import the vectors in order to be able to manipulate them in corel you must use the postscript interpreted import filter,....

Cyw

I am the graphic designer at my shop and I do 80% of my design work in illustrator. My boss runs a laser engraver and sublimation printer and he ONLY used corel draw. He is currently running X3. I am currently running cs5. We are constantly having problems with him not being able to open .eps files (with corel) that I have created in illy. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? I have tried back saving to all different versions even all the way back to illy10 but this doesn't seem to help. Not finding much from google searched either.

X3 is much older than CS5.
Before you back-save in Illy, make sure you uncheck the compression option.
X3 was released before that Adobe default was put in place.

d fleming

many people try to import eps files into coreldraw with the eps filter which imports a bitmap surrounded by a rectangular bounding box vector,...if you want to import the vectors in order to be able to manipulate them in corel you must use the postscript interpreted import filter,....

this

WildWestDesigns

no, it just makes for a trouble free import...

This right here.

My embroidery program (which is at it's latest version) can handle either X6 or it can handle EPS 3 and/or 8 exported by any other graphic programs (at least the ones that I'm used to dealing with, there might be one or more that I don't deal with at all that might have a screwy version of those EPS versions). However, it might not handle CS 5.5 or CS 6 as reliably (if it all). That's where EPS comes in handy.

SpeediGary

Why not just import the .ai file into Corel? It would probably have to be saved in CS1 or below and UNCOMPRESSED, but I think it would work. I use X4 and the only issue I have with AI files is that Corel doesn't like the compression Illustrator uses for some reason.

WildWestDesigns

One just has to be sure no drop shadows and/or transparency effects are lost in translation.....

You could always ask for high res raster just to confirm visual if nothing else.

I haven't had any issue with either 3 or 8 losing effects. Not really to say that it can't or won't happen, but I would be far more worried trying to import in an Ai file (or CDR) file (especially a more recent version) then I would worry about EPS 3 or 8.

But again, that's based on my experience.