• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator crashed while saving file

Locals Find!

My illustrator crashed in the middle of my saving a file. I can see a thumbnail of the image when I go to open it but, it won't load properly.

Anyone know of a way to recover the file without having to start over from scratch?

Locals Find!

Ok Smart Asses. You may not like my designs but, I am sure I am not the only guy who has had this happen or will have this happen.

So, Please if you have some real advice please post it for me and others in the future who may run across this issue.

d fleming

start over, crash during save makes corrupted file. Kinda like crash during print and you forgot to save....oooops.

CanuckSigns

Ok Smart Asses. You may not like my designs but, I am sure I am not the only guy who has had this happen or will have this happen.

So, Please if you have some real advice please post it for me and others in the future who may run across this issue.

Why, you've made it pretty clear that you don't listen to any of the advice given to you in any of your other threads, why would you start now?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
:banghead:
Some of those programs have worms that do stuff like that from time to time.

What Border said, occasionally, on large files, I will save another file on the side. I have had a few files crash, and the file gets corrupted, the worst was a 50+ page illustrator file that took a week to rebuild.
There is little you can do but make sure you report it, have enough ram, occasional restarts, save a lot, maybe have a back up file...

Locals Find!

Thanks Rick. I did find a small work around while not perfect does work ok.

I loaded the corrupt file in photoshop and it rasterized it. While not vector at least I have something to work from starting over. It turned out better than having nothing at all.

Smacka

Try creating a new file with the same dimensions and import into illy like you would a photo. You may have to touch up the work as you will most likely destroy any compound paths contained in the old file. Doesn't give an end of file error when you try to open it does it?

lexsigns

That SUCKS! sorry
Maybe try renaming it ( but copy and past it as #2) sometimes that will do it if your lucky-
good luck also try importing pasting or placing into flexi corel or something else vector..

WildWestDesigns

I think Adobe had an update for Ai over this for CS5. I, however, have not ever been able to successfully recover the file after it crashed while saving. At least not with the design being all vector. Which in my work, I don't like dealing with raster unless it's scatter or Gaussian blur effects, so I just start over. Thankfully, that doesn't happen all that often for me.

It isn't fun though when it does.

Locals Find!

Try creating a new file with the same dimensions and import into illy like you would a photo. You may have to touch up the work as you will most likely destroy any compound paths contained in the old file. Doesn't give an end of file error when you try to open it does it?

It gives me some messages saying the file is corrupt with about 5 lines of greek I don't understand.

The photoshop tricked worked well enough for my purposes. I sent over a portion of it to the vector doctor as I didn't want to try and what I had perfect the first time. The rest was mainly text and a few images so that will be easy enough to recreate using the image file from photoshop as a template.

BPI Color

On the Mac, CS2 an Illustrator crash left a temporary file in the trash. You can sometimes open and rebuild your file from there. It won't have the same file name. It used to be a combination of letters and numbers with the .ai afterwards.
Good luck

ForgeInc

Addie, after all the time you've been on here, and countless other threads addressing this issue, do you really think it's us who simply "don't like your designs" rather than they are just plain bad, period?

For chripesakes, I give up!

Sorry all, just had to vent...

96XP

If you had an app crash, did you chance looking at the error reports in control panel/administrative tools/computer management/event viewer/Windows logs/application to see if comes up?

Locals Find!

Addie, after all the time you've been on here, and countless other threads addressing this issue, do you really think it's us who simply "don't like your designs" rather than they are just plain bad, period?

For chripesakes, I give up!

Sorry all, just had to vent...

Your comment had nothing to do with the original post which was concerning software not design. Please learn to read.

Locals Find!

If you had an app crash, did you chance looking at the error reports in control panel/administrative tools/computer management/event viewer/Windows logs/application to see if comes up?

I figured out why It crashed it was something I should have known better than to attempt in illustrator I was laying out two 6'x9' banners in illustrator side by side with some large image files. When I saved I just overloaded my system it couldn't handle the files being that large. I need to upgrade this computer before attempting that again in the future. I am seriously lacking in ram as this computer only runs 4 gigs on win XP 32.

Which if you know windows translates out to roughly 2 gigs max of actual useable memory at any given moment.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I've never been able to recover an Illustrator file lost in a crash like this. Thankfully, I've only had it happen a handful of times in the 13 years I've been using Illustrator.

Recently for large banners that combine lots of vectors and images I've been laying them out in InDesign (exporting to PDF for printing). Since InDesign only has a "preview" of the linked file open it uses way less RAM & goes LOTS faster.

Also, if you have a file that Illustrator just refuses to save (without crashing) due to file size; hide the offending layer(s) and save it. (layers are still saved but Ill doesn't have to make a "preview" of the artwork) Then fix the problem that is eating up RAM and re-save.