• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator CS2 stroke separation

blackicefx

In VE Master+, you can add an outline, then separate the original object and the outline into two separate objects. In Illustrator, can you add a stroke to a letter/object and then separate the two so that you can cut each individually?

It's driving me nuts, trying to figure this out.

Matthew
BlackIceFX

iSign

object>path>outline stroke

an importent thing to remember is that illustrator creates a stroke that equally expands inside and outside of the original contour, so that's different then adding just an outline. I'll usually copy the contour first, then I'll make the contour the same fill color and stroke color & then, while still selected, I'll go to the object menu, and choose "path" and select "outline stroke" and then I'll weld ("unite") the TWO new contours, so that I'm only left with the outside contour (the "outline")... then from the clipboard, I'll "paste in front" the original contour. Of course if you set a 10 point stroke, you'll end up with only a 5 point "outline"... but if your working with text 9as we sign guys tend to do).. the original contour is the properly shaped letter form... and just letting illustrators "stroke" spoil that is not good.

Marie

This usually works for me:

Object / Path / Offset Path / type in the thickness needed

Then select the entire object and Object / Ungroup

jimmysigns

This usually works for me:

Object / Path / Offset Path / type in the thickness needed

Then select the entire object and Object / Ungroup

Thank you! I was using the stroke option and that was a nightmare to separate
your way is much easier. thanks

Simon Belmont

on a side note, you can also use the object>expand command. This works if your stroke is inside or outside and not center, b/c when you "outline stroke" command it will outline to center regardless of how you really designed it.