Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illustrator cs2

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by John362, Apr 24, 2007.

1. John362

John362 New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    How do i cut things that i make in illustrator?
    im using robo software that came with my graphtec to cut but i would like to design stuff in illustrator

thanks
    john

Tags:
  2. Jetmech

Jetmech Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Save it as a .EPS, then import it into your cutting software. Not sure what Robo is, but this works for me with WinPCSign.

3. John362

John362 New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    it said "this file format is not supported"

4. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    You may need to save/export as an earlier version of Illustrator (Illustrator Legacy .eps)

5. Jetmech

Jetmech Member

Aug 26, 2006
    That's right, I have to use 3 for my software to import it.

6. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    I didn't know Graphtec made a hobby cutter. Interesting....Looking at the Graphtec site, it looks like .dxf is the only file you can import if you have the ROBO master software. Convert your tect to curves and make sure you have no stroke and everything is united or compound and it should work in .dxf (Autocad 13)

You can download the manual off the site if you do not have it handy.

7. John362

John362 New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Hmm i just cant get it to work

8. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    so are you saying you did get your file exported as a .DXF file...

and then you are saying the .DXF file doesn't get recognized either?

9. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    From Illustrator CS2, click Save As. Change "Save as Type" to Illustrator EPS. Click Save. The next dialog appears. In the topmost dropdown menu, select Illustrator 3 EPS the click OK.

This file should appear without any problem when opened in the Graphtec software.

10. John362

John362 New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Hey fred i did exactley as you said and it still says "the file format is not supported"
    when i try to open it in the robo software

11. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Why not just contact Graphtec Tech Support or the place from which you purchased this cutter/software..? I would try as Rick stated...

12. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Download this file and see if it will open or import into your software. It is an Illustrator EPS saved as version 3.

13. John362

John362 New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    alright i got it to export as a dxf file but its only exporting the offsets of the text and not the actual letters

14. Fred Weiss

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    All effects should be expanded and you may also need to convert your text to outlines before exporting.

Unless you are running an engraver or a router, you will find that DXF is a garbage format when compared to EPS which preserves your Bezier curves and is particularly good for vinyl cutting.

Download the file I gave you a link for and see if it comes into your Graphtec software.