Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illustrator CS5 file saving question

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by deadman, May 30, 2013.

1. deadman

deadman Member

Dec 27, 2007
    when i save a file, say 4'x8', as an .eps, the file ends up being around 6mb. it contains all vector shapes, no images, or transparencies. is there a way to reduce the file size?

Tags:
  2. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Save without a preview.

3. garisimo

garisimo Member

Oct 14, 2009
    USA
    There's a discussion about this on Adobe's forums -- basically, AI wants to save files as PDFs, and throws a bunch of stuff in there (preview) -- turn this off and the file sizes are much smaller, and save quicker, too. I'm away from my computer right now else I'd find the discussion. Cheers!

4. deadman

deadman Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I am a novice in the Adobe world. Logic told me to look through the preferences menu. Silly me, right? Where do I go to turn off the save preview feature?

5. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    eps dialogue - preview to none instead of tiff

6. deadman

deadman Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Thanks!

7. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Turning off the "Create PDF Compatible File" option really does the trick. I took a 54.4 MB file (heavy with photos) down to a paltry 1.4 MB. Thanks for the excellent time and memory saver.

On an interesting side note, I took the 54.4 MB file originally created in CS5 and opened it in CS6. I left the “Create PDF Compatible File” option turned ON. I made no changes to the file, just saved it as a CS6 file. The results: 26MB

Anybody know why? (64 bit vs. 32 bit?)

JB