Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illustrator cs6 Slowwwwwwwwwww pen tool

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by The Vector Doctor, Oct 12, 2012.

1. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Pen tool is hesitating badly. So much so that I am apprehensive about upgrading unless I can figure out why. No problems with cs 5 or cs 3

Here is a video of how cs6 cannot keep up and there is serious lag time. I drew something quickly to clearly show the lag but even at the slower speed i draw there is hesitation

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5144854/cs6.mov

And here is another video showing cs3 using the same tool and almost no lag

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5144854/cs3.mov

I have a post at the Adobe forums too. Trying to figure out if it is a hardware issue

Tags:
  2. sfr table hockey

sfr table hockey Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Alberta
    Not sure if this info will help but I am running CS6 on XP on my main computer and the pen tool keeps up and not the lag on your video.

As fast as I could click the last line was drawn about the time my finger released the button.

I will try to boot up the laptop with windows 7 64 bit and see what it does if you don't get any more replies.

My raster effects were at 300dpi but not sure that would change anything on the pen tool.

3. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    OK I closed out Illustrator and restarted and it seems to be back to normal speed. I will do more testing.

4. SignBurst PCs

SignBurst PCs Very Active Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Utah
    Have you run all of the updates? My pen tool is as fast as I can move the mouse and click.

5. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    I tried everything but a simple quit and reopen of cs6. Earlier today I was working on tracing a file that had 2 40mb pdf's in the background. Maybe there was a memory issue with just AIcs6. The computer as a whole was fine and not slowing down. As mentioned drawing in cs3 was unaffected

6. SignBurst PCs

Oct 30, 2007
    Utah
  7. The Vector Doctor

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    That is Adobe's way of getting back at Steve Jobs for killing (or attempting) Flash

8. SignBurst PCs

Oct 30, 2007
    Utah
    Well they are a little late.