• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator File Question , Lines Everywhere.

Jwalk

I got this file and when I open it in great cut this is what I get what is all the perspective lines. The guy who has given me the file doesn't even know what it is.

Why did I spend so much time with photoshop? and not with illustrator I'm paying for that now.

Attachments

• example of file.jpg
    example of file.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 273

Jwalk

That was the eps file.

I asked him to send me the ai files and the ai file doesnt show the lines? Illustrator/vector stuff seems to have so many variables.

There is no gradient it just two solid colors.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I don't believe the perspective grid is an object that is saved with the files. Also the perspective grid in Illustrator looks more like this which is different than what you are showing

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 10.50.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 10.50.53 AM.png
    149.2 KB · Views: 160

oksigns

Perspective grid is a tool, not an embedded object.

Those lines are just that; strokes. You never showed us the final artwork for comparison. Looking at just the wireframe view, it appears to be some sort of sunburst effect.

Pippin Decals

I don't believe the perspective grid is an object that is saved with the files. Also the perspective grid in Illustrator looks more like this which is different than what you are showing

I just did a test in ai and saved it with the perspective grid showing ..when i re named the file and opened it .,The Perspective grids instantly popped up in my image .So it will show what they see in their file.Just turn it off and it will go away..

bannertime

I just did a test in ai and saved it with the perspective grid showing ..when i re named the file and opened it .,The Perspective grids instantly popped up in my image .So it will show what they see in there file.Just turn it off and it will go away..

That's really weird, but would it show up in other programs?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I just did a test in ai and saved it with the perspective grid showing ..when i re named the file and opened it .,The Perspective grids instantly popped up in my image .So it will show what they see in their file.Just turn it off and it will go away..

It is still nothing more than a grid. A better test is to open it up in an older version of ai that does not have this and you will see that it is not an object that will show up in other programs. I tried opening up a perspective grid file in cs3 and there are no lines anywhere

Last edited:

Johnny Best

You said you get this as shown in Great Cut, what does it look like just in Illustrator, My first guess was the perspective grid but as other noted it seems not to be. Lets see a screen shot in Illy. One in Preview and one in outline.

Jwalk

You said you get this as shown in Great Cut, what does it look like just in Illustrator, My first guess was the perspective grid but as other noted it seems not to be. Lets see a screen shot in Illy. One in Preview and one in outline.

Yeah thanks for taking the time the first example is an eps file opened in great cut. I cant open that eps file in AI. When the client resent the file in AI file it opened fine in great cut and AI.

Attached is a picture of the finished file.

In great cut I tried deleting some of the perspective lines and they are attached to the actual font?

Thing with illustrator is in my experience if there is a problem I usually find a work around but never get the answer to the original problem.

Thank you for all the replies.

Attachments

• WestSide Windows(1)-1.jpg
    WestSide Windows(1)-1.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 194

Jwalk

Just an added note the file is ok in the ai format. I was just wondering why this is happening.

I had this other file ( totallydiff firm this ) that I couldnt select some of the vector lines and couldnt figure out why. Again I figured some other work around. I might post that and see what answers I get.

Johnny Best

Next time you have lines like that go to view, located at top, and uncheck all the guides and grids.
Glad it worked out for you.