Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illustrator file

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by GVP, Dec 13, 2010.

1. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    Greetings!

I have a question regarding the legitimacy of asking the question...?

We have a legal bona fide copy of Illustrator CS4. However, when installing from the DVD, the installer is reporting that the "AdobeFontsAll" cab file is damaged. Sure enough, the disk has a few blemishes though I can't be sure that's what's causing the issue.

My question is - can I legally ask for someone to send me a copy of that particular file off of their disk? And, if so, can anyone help?

Tags:
  2. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I know it takes a few days, but Adobe will send you a replacement disc via mail. Maybe they would provide a download location if you called & were desperate.
    If not, possibly some of the "pirates in the bay" could help you.

3. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    just download it from the website and input your key!

4. Jet Fast Printing

Jet Fast Printing Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I would just download a torrent file and burn it, provided you have a license.

5. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    I'm not to sure I would do that. Even if he does have a license, if he is downloading it from someone that has a crack file on there for there could very much be the perception of ill intent. He may not have been doing it for himself directly but for someone else etc. A lot of arguments could be made(and even believed). I wouldn't go the torrent route too much of a bad stigma associated with it. Even if "your" intent is an honest one.

6. Jet Fast Printing

Jet Fast Printing Member

Sep 22, 2009

Torrent is not a bad word, There are PLENTY of torrents out there without a crack file.

I doubt Adobe would even sell him a replacement copy of CS4 since CS5 is out.
    Maybe a discount on upgrading, but a replacement is doubtful.

7. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    That's true. There are even more torrents that share music, videos, jailbreak iTouch apps etc. Torrent in of itself may not be a bad thing as far as the legal aspect, but it's the perception that it has now. Perception goes a long way, more then it should logically, but that happens.

Not if they are just willing to send the file to him. If they are willing to do that, then there is hope. I, like you, find that hard to believe, but you never know til you try.

Torrents are just under a lot of scrutiny and I try to avoid that route in some instances, this would be one of them.

8. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    Just to update - I found a previously downloaded trial copy of CS4 that I'd forgotten about, and copied the .cab file from that. Lucky I remembered it, because I could only find CS5 on Adobe's website. Anyway - problem solved - thanks to all who responded.