• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator file

GVP

Greetings!

I have a question regarding the legitimacy of asking the question...?

We have a legal bona fide copy of Illustrator CS4. However, when installing from the DVD, the installer is reporting that the "AdobeFontsAll" cab file is damaged. Sure enough, the disk has a few blemishes though I can't be sure that's what's causing the issue.

My question is - can I legally ask for someone to send me a copy of that particular file off of their disk? And, if so, can anyone help?

jfiscus

Rap Master
I know it takes a few days, but Adobe will send you a replacement disc via mail. Maybe they would provide a download location if you called & were desperate.
If not, possibly some of the "pirates in the bay" could help you.

WildWestDesigns

I would just download a torrent file and burn it, provided you have a license.

I'm not to sure I would do that. Even if he does have a license, if he is downloading it from someone that has a crack file on there for there could very much be the perception of ill intent. He may not have been doing it for himself directly but for someone else etc. A lot of arguments could be made(and even believed). I wouldn't go the torrent route too much of a bad stigma associated with it. Even if "your" intent is an honest one.

I'm not to sure I would do that. Even if he does have a license, if he is downloading it from someone that has a crack file on there for there could very much be the perception of ill intent. He may not have been doing it for himself directly but for someone else etc. A lot of arguments could be made(and even believed). I wouldn't go the torrent route too much of a bad stigma associated with it. Even if "your" intent is an honest one.

Torrent is not a bad word, There are PLENTY of torrents out there without a crack file.

I doubt Adobe would even sell him a replacement copy of CS4 since CS5 is out.
Maybe a discount on upgrading, but a replacement is doubtful.

WildWestDesigns

Torrent is not a bad word, There are PLENTY of torrents out there without a crack file.

That's true. There are even more torrents that share music, videos, jailbreak iTouch apps etc. Torrent in of itself may not be a bad thing as far as the legal aspect, but it's the perception that it has now. Perception goes a long way, more then it should logically, but that happens.

I doubt Adobe would even sell him a replacement copy of CS4 since CS5 is out.
Maybe a discount on upgrading, but a replacement is doubtful.

Not if they are just willing to send the file to him. If they are willing to do that, then there is hope. I, like you, find that hard to believe, but you never know til you try.

Torrents are just under a lot of scrutiny and I try to avoid that route in some instances, this would be one of them.

GVP

Just to update - I found a previously downloaded trial copy of CS4 that I'd forgotten about, and copied the .cab file from that. Lucky I remembered it, because I could only find CS5 on Adobe's website. Anyway - problem solved - thanks to all who responded.