Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illustrator, how to create / cut text with a stroke effect ?

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by bubber, Nov 29, 2005.

1. bubber

bubber New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I apologize for the very newbie question, especially it being my first :)

I am using FlexiSTARTER edition that came with my plotter for cutting the art work; but I am using ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR 10 for the design. What I am trying to do seems rather simple.

A) I have basic font TEXT.
    B) I am trying to create a stroke effect around the letters.
    C) I am trying to cut this text where as the text inside will be cut out and the actual stroke effect will create the outlines of the letters.

This is where I am running into problems. I can only get the plotter to cut the letters but not the actual stroke effect. I realize that I need to convert something to outlines - but I can't figure out the exact process step by step.

Can someone please help?

Thanks,
    Mike

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Set your stroke as you want it to be and then

• Select text and Type Menu > Create Outlines (Control +Shift + O)
    • Object Menu > Path > Outline Stroke

3. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    I skipped Illustrator 10. Does it not have the "expand" options under the Object menu? That's what I use for converting outline strokes into editable paths within IllustratorCS2, even though the Outline Stroke command is still there.

4. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Yes it's there. I just tend to work with individual steps rather than multi-step features like Expand.